cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build on road with existing VM fibre cables

HM_LDN
Tuning in

Hi there,

I will soon be moving into a new-build house on a road where fibre cables were laid down prior to this construction, and I can see on the VM postcode checker that all my neighbours have VM services. The developers of my property partnered with openreach and not VM, so there is no brown box outside the property.

When I questioned the developers about this, they said "As my soon-to-be neighbours have access to VM, the underground infrastructure exists to bring fibre cables from the cabinet to my property." Is this actually the case?

I contacted the VM sales team and they gave me a blanket answer of, 'No, because its not financially feasible for us to come dig up the road to laydown fibre cables for one property.' I understand that, but what if no digging is involved, and fibre cables can be brought to my property using existing underground infrastructure?

The sales person hung up on me before I could ask this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to experience 1000 mbps download speeds!

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @HM_LDN,

welcome to the community, let me see what I can do to help you. The situation you describe happens from time to time and it may perfectly be possible for us to collect you. To look into this further I will need to contact you by private message to grab some details if that is okay with you? Please look out for the purple envelope icon in the top right and corner of the screen 

thank you for considering joining us

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Brava210
Fibre optic

Hi,

My Son was in this exact same position. It was just a case of virgin pulling in the fibre cable to the property

using the same Cable ducting as BT. I assume the same would be the case for your Area.

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

Hi Brava210,

Thank you for responding. Its promising to hear that someone else has been in a similar situation and was able to receive VM services.

Any advice on how I can go about escalating the issue? Because the sales team hasn't been very helpful in the 2-times I've contacted them.

Cheers

I would say, if the neighbours have Virgin etc, then ring the Sales line.

Does the postcode checker say "No" ?

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

VM's postcode checker doesn't show my house number (53) initially. My neighbours whose houses are not new builds (52, 54, 55, etc) are visible. I have to click on the 'can't find your address?' option. Then my house number becomes visible in the drop-down menu. After selecting my house number, I'm taken to fill-in form to give VM my contact details and they would respond in 10 business days.

I've just re-submitted the request, but I did this 15-days ago and didn't get a follow-up.

Hi @HM_LDN,

welcome to the community, let me see what I can do to help you. The situation you describe happens from time to time and it may perfectly be possible for us to collect you. To look into this further I will need to contact you by private message to grab some details if that is okay with you? Please look out for the purple envelope icon in the top right and corner of the screen 

thank you for considering joining us

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi @VM-Jon,

I'm going to move soon in a new building as well and I'm experiencing the other customer's same kind of issue.
My postcode is new but the area and the neighbours are served by virgin media. ( using the previous house postcode where mine has been built shows service availability.) However if I check with the new postcode it seems there is no service.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here, could you please suggest the appropriate course of action?

Many thanks

Hi Dadocreate,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your message. We're keen to look into this for you so a member of our team will be along shortly to send you a private message to help further.

Thanks
Lucy_B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hey @Dadocreate, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. I am going to look into this for you.

What I am going to do is send you a PM, please can you look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hey Dadocreate, so I can look into this for you, please can you confirm your full name, and post code of the new new building you are going to along with the first line of the address. 

Please can I also confirm that you are currently an active customer of Virgin or not? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?