Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 21 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

@ankehuber wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@ankehuber wrote:

So if I move in and want to take Virgin with me what do I do if developer has finished building and is doing no more work?

Would Virgin still run me a cable to my ground-floor flat?

You then come up against local authority bylaws. Some of them forbid any visible wiring on the outside of multi storey buildings. In others ground floor flats can have external cables providing a wayleave agreement can be signed to cross any private land.

Presumably the developer or freehold company has to do this?

If the land is not public Virgin will have to obtain the necessary wayleaves. Virgin will send you the forms which have to be forwarded to whoever owns the land.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 22 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

@ankehuber wrote:

@John_GS wrote:

No worries, let us know if there is anything further we can assist with.

Kind regards,

Person on phone says spotter can't go out yet as their database still shows old building, which was serviceable, it will need to wait until new address shows up and then they can send someone out.

Getting a tad worried here that I will be stuck with 10MB ADSL and I can't really do anything with that.

I feel your pain 😞

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 23 of 30
Flag for a moderator

i think you're on a hiding to nothing here i'm afraid.
better start getting used to openreach, or look at 4G broadband.
0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 24 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Update: just paid a visit to site and out the front on the public path is all new tarmac and there sitting in the middle of it is this "CATV" cover, pretty much inline with others along the pathway about 20yds in either direction (although the others look like this). Is this Virgin Media cabling? Windows pictured are my flat too so it's about 15ft away across the grass.

vircom.jpg

IMG_0552.JPG

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 25 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Any CATV pavement cover belongs to Virgin Media as it was installed either by VM or one of its predecessor companies.

It's always disappointing whenever an apartment block is not pre-wired as VM is keen to do this because the cost per premises can be spread across all the units within a block. Sometimes the developer does not inform VM of the development or the landlord is not readily contactable, e.g. is registered offshore.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 26 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Any CATV pavement cover belongs to Virgin Media as it was installed either by VM or one of its predecessor companies.

It's always disappointing whenever an apartment block is not pre-wired as VM is keen to do this because the cost per premises can be spread across all the units within a block. Sometimes the developer does not inform VM of the development or the landlord is not readily contactable, e.g. is registered offshore.

As this is pretty much brand new, as the tarmac is, then I will definitely get a spotter/engineer out to see if we can't run a cable the 15ft to my wall.

Like you say it would've been easier for VM to install this as construction went along, at least being on the ground floor front corner I've got a fighting chance.

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 27 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax @nodrogd @John_GS @dnpark38 @chenks by the way just wanted to thank you for helping so far.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@ankehuber wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

As this is pretty much brand new, as the tarmac is, then I will definitely get a spotter/engineer out to see if we can't run a cable the 15ft to my wall.

Like you say it would've been easier for VM to install this as construction went along, at least being on the ground floor front corner I've got a fighting chance.

The “tee” in the pavement will have been installed for the old premises when the network was built. There is also the question that you do not own the grassed area between it and the flats, so Wayleave permissions will be needed before your install can take place. The postcode database will also need updating.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 29 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@ankehuber wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The “tee” in the pavement will have been installed for the old premises when the network was built. There is also the question that you do not own the grassed area between it and the flats, so Wayleave permissions will be needed before your install can take place. The postcode database will also need updating.

Thank you for this, at least it's good to know that there is the possibility of it getting installed, the fact that the infrastructure is there. I've informed the Royal Mail about updating their database which should then update Virgin's at some point. I'll make sure to ask about the Wayleave when I call back. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 30 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@ankehuber wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Is this the Wayleave permission form I should send to the developer/freeholder?

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/networkexpansion/Wayleave/access_agreement.pdf

0 Kudos