Menu
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 11 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

Thanks, I'll do that right now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build (no cable) replaced old demolished building (did have cable). Options?

@ankehuber wrote:

So if I move in and want to take Virgin with me what do I do if developer has finished building and is doing no more work?

Would Virgin still run me a cable to my ground-floor flat?

You then come up against local authority bylaws. Some of them forbid any visible wiring on the outside of multi storey buildings. In others ground floor flats can have external cables providing a wayleave agreement can be signed to cross any private land.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 30
Flag for a moderator

if the address is servicable yes they will install.
But if its not servicable you wont be able to take VM with you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 30
Flag for a moderator

No worries, let us know if there is anything further we can assist with.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 15 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
if the address is servicable yes they will install.
But if its not servicable you wont be able to take VM with you

The Virgin Media database still shows old building which is serviceable but obviously new building isn't wired up.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 16 of 30
Flag for a moderator

As BT/Open Reach got fibre to that street?

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 17 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@ankehuber wrote:

So if I move in and want to take Virgin with me what do I do if developer has finished building and is doing no more work?

Would Virgin still run me a cable to my ground-floor flat?

You then come up against local authority bylaws. Some of them forbid any visible wiring on the outside of multi storey buildings. In others ground floor flats can have external cables providing a wayleave agreement can be signed to cross any private land.

Presumably the developer or freehold company has to do this?

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 18 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@dnpark38 wrote:

Their database says only 10MB ADSL. Useless in 2019.

0 Kudos
ankehuber
Joining in
Message 19 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS wrote:

No worries, let us know if there is anything further we can assist with.

Kind regards,

Person on phone says spotter can't go out yet as their database still shows old building, which was serviceable, it will need to wait until new address shows up and then they can send someone out.

Getting a tad worried here that I will be stuck with 10MB ADSL and I can't really do anything with that.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 20 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@ankehuber wrote:

@dnpark38 wrote:

Their database says only 10MB ADSL. Useless in 2019.

That's terrible.

I'm old enough to remember when people moved house in order to get TV reception 🙂

I think with new builds people are going to have get wise and find out prior to purchase if the Developer is going to partner from day one with VM or Open Reach to include fiber cables to the houses and if not, not to buy.

Would be nice of course if Government made it compulsory or Councils when giving planning permission made fiber compulsory.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos