cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build moving from OpenReach FTTP to Virgin - install under stairs?

cyanogenic
Joining in

Bought a second hand new build house recently, the openreach FTTP thingy (I don't know what it's called) is currently installed under the cupboard room under the staircase. Under the stairs, there are ethernet cables that run to the living room and upstairs bedrooms.

I'm already a VM customer in my current house, if I were to move my VM account to the new house, could I ask for the router to be installed under the stairs as well? Would I need to get electricians and plasterers involved if it were possible?

Or do I need to accept that the VM router will need to be installed somewhere else?

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
More then likely it be installed somewhere else where VM line comes in.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will install their hub anywhere you want, mine is also under the stairs. It is possibly best if you arrange a site survey first and they can advise about everything. Best wait for a VM staff member to get to your post in 2 to 3 days.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Why do you want to move from Openreach FTTP to Virginmedia?  Serious question. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Is it a new build on an estate, or a one-off? If VM was available from the outset then the cabling should (haha) already be in place and run to a central location. Sometimes it's hidden behind a blanking plate.

Because I am already in a contract with VM for broadband in my current house. Unless someone tells me that I could cancel VM without a fee, then I'd just sign up for one of the openreach providers - I'm fine with that if it was an option! 

@Jonny-M - it's in an estate that is still being built, but I bought this house off a private seller rather than the developers. They install BT as standard for all the new builds here, but the BT contract is only tied to the original buyer of the house, so I can change to others if I wanted.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Check with the deeds for the house. There are often restrictions on running new cables on new estates, and Virginmedia finds it difficult to get the necessary wayleaves. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin's policy now is that they will release you without cost if they cannot provide a connection at your new address. 

- jpeg1

@cyanogenic wrote:
@Jonny-M - it's in an estate that is still being built, but I bought this house off a private seller rather than the developers. They install BT as standard for all the new builds here, but the BT contract is only tied to the original buyer of the house, so I can change to others if I wanted.

Unless VM are using what's called PIA to utilise Openreach ducts, then VM won't install in this situation.  Developers take kick-backs from telcos to be the first provider of services on new build estates, and until the roads are adopted by the council (often for the full estate) then other providers have no rights to build their networks. Often, if either Openreach have built FTTP, or VM have built RFoG networks on a new build estate, other suppliers won't build ever, because they know that there's no good commercial case and the investment they make for a duplicate network won't pay off.

Contact VM, ask if the property is serviceable, it might be although I doubt it, but if it's not then you won't have to pay (or you might but can reclaim) the early termination fee that VM would otherwise ask for.