cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build house

johnbfranklin50
Tuning in

Hi all, I'm waiting to move into a new build  house,and being told, it's read for virgin + bt fibre,  it has a central connection point/box , upstairs , the other points around the house via media plates ect, will I need a router, or how do I connect different items by ethernet cables, was using  a router in my old house,  by tv for freesat box and other media boxes, getting help via phonelines  is impossible thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@johnbfranklin50 wrote:

As hadn't moved in yet , no pictures,  but been told it's OK for both, just wondering if I will need a router, and if so where do I plug it in thanks.

I think you will have to wait until you move in to find out if what the developers builders have told you is suitable for virgins services, then as a first install you will need a manned setup, if you know the location postcode you can check if indeed virgin service that location.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

LittleMick73
Superstar

Hi all virgins broadband and TV need a coaxial cables  in order for thier systems to work, they will come in via a street cabinet which will have underground cables that run to the Omnibox then the coaxial cables enter your property, from the  omnibox on the wall of your property, photographs of the boxes and connections you have already installed will help clarify if the setup is suitable for virgin, which is different to BT. Regards Micky

As hadn't moved in yet , no pictures,  but been told it's OK for both, just wondering if I will need a router, and if so where do I plug it in thanks.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi all virgins broadband and TV need a coaxial cables” not totally correct. In some new areas it’s actually fibre to the premises and then a converter box is used to give a coax output for the hub and TV box. So, yes the VM boxes need coax, but not all the circuit from the street box has to be coax.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

Hi all virgins broadband and TV need a coaxial cables” not totally correct. In some new areas it’s actually fibre to the premises and then a converter box is used to give a coax output for the hub and TV box. So, yes the VM boxes need coax, but not all the circuit from the street box has to be coax.

Your right I'm afraid I didn't make it clear in my post as to the type of cable that comes from cabinet to the property.

@johnbfranklin50 wrote:

I think you will have to wait until you move in to find out if what the developers builders have told you is suitable for virgins services, then as a first install you will need a manned setup, if you know the location postcode you can check if indeed virgin service that location.

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @johnbfranklin50 I would be happy to check if your new home is set up for our services. I will send you a private message as I will need the adress to check this.

Thank you Joe. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi is joe-c available. 

Hi johnbfranklin50, 

Thanks for your post. 

@JOE-C is an engineer who occasionally helps on the forums when working from home. 

Is there anything we can do to help today? 

Let us know 🙂 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @johnbfranklin50 sorry I missed your comment. Is this regarding your new build that we spoke about before the new year?

If so I will speak to the relevant teams tomorrow for a specific release date for you. Your address is currently still not showing as released but they did advise me it would be January so I will chase this up for you. 

Any other issues before then feel free to drop me a message.

Regards Joe 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more