Menu
Highlighted
ts79
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New build connection

Hi All

I am currently in the process of building a new house, there is no tv aerial, no internet provider, no phone connection, no tv points there is literally nothing! Please can you advise what Virgin needs for us to use them. We have got Virgin in the area so that’s good. My Electrician has only worked with Sky and BT and does not know what is required of him re wiring and points etc? Do we need a TV Aerial??? Can you let me know??? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New build connection

VM run all the gubbins themselves. No you dont need an ariel.

First step though- check your new build is serviceable, you will likely need a spotter out to see if there ducting close at hand.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media will bring the cable to the front of the house (unless you need it elsewhere) and drill a hole through the wall. There will be an omni box on the exterior wall and a termination box on the interior wall. From the termination box will be a single coax cable and both the hub and TV box will be connected by coax and the TV box needs connection to the hub (Ethernet is best). If the installation is FTTP a socket is needed inside the house (preferably near the termination box) to backpower the ONT in the omni box, this is similar to BT's FTTP in that the ONT must be powered except that the ONT in BT's installation is inside the house.

It would be possible, preferable in some houses especially if they are new build, to locate the hub in a place such as a comms cupboard where there would also be a network switch and multiple sockets for power; if you want this it would help if you could find a good routing for the cable.

You can have multiple TV boxes but you must have a coax and a network connection for each one, and your electrician must get the Ethernet cabling done for this. The VM technician will do all coax cabling and split the cable as many times as needed.

All equipment, boxes, coax cabling and splitters will be provided by VM, under no circumstances should you install your own coax cabling.

There is no aerial as all TV (unlike BT TV and TalkTalk TV) comes down the cable.

There is no phone socket as the landline is provided by the hub (it's VoIP these days) which has a port and an adapter into which you plug your existing handset.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
ts79
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you I have forwarded your info on to my Electrition, very helpful. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Remember its only worth doing all that cable and prep work if VM say your property is serviceable - you need to establish that first. If there is some "obstacle"or blocker (e.g. maximum subscribers in the aree already reached) to laying their cables they will just say no its not economically viable for them. So check that first.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos