cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build apartment building - possibility of Virgin?

mcw257
Joining in

My wife and I have bought a new build flat in a small block of 9 apartments. Virgin is available on the street and to pretty much all other properties nearby.

4 households have so far moved in and there are still a lot of works going on in the communal areas.

The developer told us that connection to VM was 'imminent' before we completed the sale. They claim they had a meeting with VM yesterday who state that connection to their network is not possible.

The flat itself is wired with what looks like aerial points in each room, a master ethernet socket in a utility cupboard and then ethernet ports in each room. There is also a standard landline telephone input socket in the flat. 

I don't believe the person we are dealing with on behalf of the developer fully understands the situation as they have said blamed the situation on the fact that they have CAT6 cables 'throughout the development' which Virgin won't use. It's my understanding that these are only relevant within each individual flat rather than for the development as a whole.

What would need to be done to connect Virgin? There is clearly a good trunking infrastructure in the building and as communal works are ongoing I wonder if I could go back to the developer with more information.

Thanks for reading.

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly - ask whether the builders negotiated with VM and OpenReach before building the property? If they agreed to go with VM then they would have installed the infrastructure (ducts under the pavement, etc) and it would be ready to be connected. If they chose OR - then their infrastructure would have been installed.

Ask the communal installers which company they are installing for?

What company are the other 4 occupants using ?

Perhaps the builders declined either and just installed some Cat6 cabling and TV connections to a roof ariel. Which is great for connecting your devices to a VM Hub, but totally useless for getting you connected to the VM network.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply.

So far no occupants have broadband. We are speaking via WhatsApp and waiting for either an open reach or VM connection. 

The flats are copper cabled to the cabinet, so we are told. Open reach attended last week and found a broken duct between two manholes so more work is required to connect the building to their network. This would allow OR FTTC.

unsure what you mean by communal installers?

I guess just disappointed here that the developer said VM would be possible but it seems not. Would it be possible for me to enquire with virgin on my own? I’m guessing would need the freeholder’s permission but could get it installed?

Thanks again! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You said there was work going on in the "communal" areas 🙂

Unlikely VM will install if OR are already on it.

A VM person can comment here when they pick this up in a day or two.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ah yes - sorry by communal I meant still things like the lift, hallway decorations and finishings in some of the other flats underway.

Yes openreach completing the FTTC connection but would be very keen for VM seeing as it’s FTTC and not FTTP. 

It just seems like we are at an early stage and could be possible either for the whole building or just for our flat with freeholder permission! I say this particularly as there is clearly some kind of ducting from outside to each flat. I wonder what would be required.

As you say, I look forward to a comment from someone from Virgin

Also, before going back to the developer… what should they have done before now to make the building ‘VM ready’? That would be good to know from a technical perspective

Thanks again 

They should have actually spoken to Virgin Media and Openreach and followed the (free) guidance provided

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/fibre-for-developers/guides-and-handbooks

It sounds like they've just installed some Cat6 to each apartment, not spoken to any of the network builders, and are hoping that Virgin and Openreach are going to go completely outside of their standard deployment methods to enable these flats for service. It's unlikely in all honesty. Try Hyperoptic, they tend to be less concerned about keeping things uniform.