cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account connection delays

RPWalks
Tuning in

Having an absolute nightmare with getting my services up and running, I was originally told that I could have a quick start installation kit (this arrived 21st Jan) as that was a connection available so when it arrived I set it up and nothing worked. Following a technician visit on 29th Jan it turned out the existing connection was actually not functioning as the wire had been cut, but a new one laid to just outside of the property. However this wasn't actually connected to Virgin's network in the street and this work would need to be done before the installation, the technician said this is a complete loss of service so they'll come straight away to fix this... 7 weeks later and I'm still waiting!

I have spent countless hours on the phone to people who frankly haven't got a clue what is going on or how to actually help in getting this fixed, they just read out some rubbish notes on the account and tell me it will definitely happen whenever the next appointment is. I'm often lied to saying that someone will call me back (a minimum of 10 times this has been promised) or that they will contact the Area/Field Manager about this, I think they are almost certainly mythical characters.

It seems impossible to escalate anything through customer services and I've been passed around multiple teams who can't help, after a few weeks of waiting, I raised a complaint which has now apparently vanished from their systems despite having a confirmation email. No contact, no discussion of a resolution just deleted off of the system, somehow I am not surprised.

The only real question is why am I still waiting for this to be set up and not with another provider. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
FYI - VM’s installation “omnishambles”- see John’s excellent precis in message 18 of this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
FYI - VM’s installation “omnishambles”- see John’s excellent precis in message 18 of this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ha, thanks! This pretty much sums up my entire experience with the added bonus of the complaint I raised (with confirmed receipt) suddenly no longer being available and being told by one CS agent that no such complaint ever existed on their systems. Joyus.

I don't hold out much hope that this will get resolved tbh, but weirdly can't bring myself to move on just yet maybe I will once I can raise the issue to the ombudsman after 8 weeks of a complaint (missing or not)

We'll see what Friday brings, my expectation is the exact same response as the last 7 weeks. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your description is a sorry tale which, sadly, has been repeated many, many times over on here.

Usually these failed installations seem to involve multiple visits, from various parties, who repeatedly visit site but fail to actually do anything useful.

On a couple of topics, the unlucky customer has used one of these visits to collar the visiting employee and make direct contact with either the sub-contractor and/or the local VM representative (area manager). This, in turn, managed to make some progress with the installation, effectively cutting the VM (non)installation process out of the equation.

Might just have been luck and chance for those people who succeeded in this way but might be worth a try if you can collar someone during one of these non-installation visits to your property and see if you can find out some kind of a direct contact.

Yes, I did exactly the same about 3 weeks ago, spoke with a guy who did some of the rope pulling but one of the pits was blocked so another team/subcontractor needs to do that work and at that point I wasn't clued up enough to ask for direct contacts, I just pleaded that he escalate. I had expected the unblocking was what was happening this weekend gone by but alas no and now the trail has gone cold so to speak...

I would love to speak to an Area/Field Manager, I had assumed they were mythical creatures as only certain people appear to be allowed to speak with them but it never seems consistent, nothing does really

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Complete and total randomness of communication, processes and outcomes is the VM way, unfortunately.

Good Evening @RPWalks and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues with the installation of the services. 

I'd be happy to pick this up for you and look into the complaint and the installation that you've been patiently waiting on

Check the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

An update:

some progress was made this week, a team came and cleared the pits out in the street and even told me they’d laid the wire up to my garden, I was hopeful this may mean that my appointment on Friday would be the end of this sorry saga… alas no, the next team failed to show on both Friday and Saturday using the usual excuse that the road is too busy (it’s really not that busy save peak commuter/school times) and an early start is required, you’d have assumed that after 7 weeks they’d realise this and not book afternoon appointments but no. It also begs the question why don’t they communicate as it appears they are coming to do the rope pull that the other team has done. 

So more delays and the same terrible CS conversations with people that know less about the situation than I do who can only say sorry and it will get done on Saturday/Monday. It won’t.

Frustratingly I wasn’t able to get the number of the local contact of the team that came this week, speaking with someone actually involved is still the one thing that could move this along I genuinely believe that, it’s crazy to think that after this length of time it la still seemingly impossible.

Hi @RPWalks, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your further concerns.

I can see that we've been communicating with you via PM more recently than this post, so please be assured that we'll aim to get this resolved for you as soon as we possible can.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Many thanks

Tom_W