cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Virgin Media

ozipin
Joining in

Hoping to get some help. Joined Virgin media about a month and half back. Have been using sky, talk talk and bt FTTC previous.

BT we're taking ages to sort FTTP they even put the cabling in my estate 18months before Virgin did but still didn't sort it so decided on getting Virgin.

My download and upload speeds are better then what I was getting with sky talk talk or bt. But it seems the exactly connection I get via cabled or WiFi seems worse. Ie things taking longer to buffer and just was seems to be a worse connection.

My Samsung TV is connected straight on to router and it's buffering more then when I was on BT.

And if multiple devices on wifi the connection is rubbish.

After havingVirgin for 3 weeks the internet connection completely dropped and we had to have a new Incoming line Installed for some reason.

We have a Hub 3 router and currently my speeds are Ping 22ms Download 98.7 Upload 10.4

Would a different router connected make this better atall? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
first job with a Hub3 is this..

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.
--------------------------------------
if not try this

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ozipin wrote:

My download and upload speeds are better then what I was getting with sky talk talk or bt. But it seems the exactly connection I get via cabled or WiFi seems worse. Ie things taking longer to buffer and just was seems to be a worse connection.

We have a Hub 3 router and currently my speeds are Ping 22ms Download 98.7 Upload 10.4

Would a different router connected make this better atall? Thanks

Hi @ozipin 

You haven't said, but are the above speeds measured wired or by wifi?

Also, which speed package are you on? How do the speeds compare to the expected speeds on the following page?

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/our-speeds-explained 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello there Ozipin,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about the slow speed issue with your service at home.
Could you please advise the following so we can help?

What speed are you on based on your package?
How many devices are in use as an average daily, especially the ones connecting wirelessly?
Any consoles or other heavy users connecting there?
If so, do any of those connect via ethernet?
Are you using any boosters or pods to enhance your WiFi signal, at the minute?

You may check for slow speed issues here, where you may try some fixes and see if this helps.
Once we establish the above, we can offer more advice on this and also support you in case we find there is a fault.

Let us know and we are happy to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs