cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Virgin Media

RonaldWoodward
On our wavelength

Hoping to get some help. Joined Virgin media about a month and half back. Have been using sky, talk talk and bt FTTC previous. BT we're taking ages to sort FTTP they even put the cabling in my estate 18months before Virgin did but still didn't sort it so decided on getting Virgin. My download and upload speeds are better then what I was getting with sky talk talk or bt. But it seems the exactly connection I get via cabled or WiFi seems worse. Ie things taking longer to buffer and just was seems to be a worse connection. My Samsung TV is connected straight on to router and it's buffering more then when I was on BT. And if multiple devices on wifi the connection is rubbish. After havingVirgin for 3 weeks the internet connection completely dropped and we had to have a new Incoming line Installed for some reason. We have a Hub 3 router and currently my speeds are Ping 22ms Download 98.7 Upload 10.4 Would a different router connected make this better atall? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What speed Package are you on? 100 down and 10 up is spot on for the 100 Mbps package.

Can we clarify, what are connections like on devices (TV, laptop, PC, Console) connected directly to the Hub on good ethernet cables? That is are the issues you are having just wifi related.

One thing always worth doing to see if it improves - is this.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:  OneCognizant.Cognizant.com Portal
What speed Package are you on? 100 down and 10 up is spot on for the 100 Mbps package.

Can we clarify, what are connections like on devices (TV, laptop, PC, Console) connected directly to the Hub on good ethernet cables? That is are the issues you are having just wifi related.

One thing always worth doing to see if it improves - is this.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

Exactly what I needed! You just saved me several hours. Thanks!