cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install - Construction Required

william333
Joining in

Ordered Gig1 around the start of this month, was notified that external works needed to be done. Engineers showed up this morning to do the pre-installation work but discovered our street was missing an "access point" or "tee", and then drove off. My install date has now been cancelled and I've had to try contact customer support, after over an hour on hold and moved between two departments- they hung up on me as I was providing my account number. This happened again when I reattempted.

Is there any staff here that can organise whatever construction is needed and prevent me from being another horror story of 12 month delays.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It wont get done from here - VM forum staff cannot influence this issue. See this for info

Could try the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 and see what they say.

The current VM installation process is poorly managed when things aren’t straightforward and cable re-pulls are needed. So dont bother chasing it. Just let the installation play out. Do nothing. You will pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is actually installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it after those 14 days

In the meantime, can you connect to OR, Sky, BT etc - or to a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three recently had a 30-day 4G unlimited package for ~£20. If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course. As said, you will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

FYI - Re. VM’s recent installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in message 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

And then.... re. install compensation - see Tony’s excellent advice in message 7 here….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Join-the-club-FAILED-INTERNET-INSTALLATIO...

And an example of >£1300 “bill credit” upon connection.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showpost.php?p=36130259&postcount=1

And, a successful Compo outcome see message 29 …

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Help-please-to-progress-pre-install/td-p/...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Still no progress has been made after this week, and after my experiences with their support I think I've dodged a bullet here.

I'd like to cancel my contract but whatsapp support redirected me to the pre-install team number, again, since apparently they can't cancel accounts that don't have a service installed yet- and obviously I couldn't get through to the pre-install team. Are staff on this forum able to sort this out for me?

Thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dont bother, just leave it - dont chase it. Your account isnt actually activated until the day it is installed and you have an activate connection. Until that day your account will get credits for missed install dates - see my links in message 2 for examples.

If they turn up one day..... far in the future... and install it - you still have a 14-day cooling off period when you can test drive it and cancel the contract free of any charges. Or if you like it - just keep it with the accrued credits on your account.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @william333

Thanks for your reply

We would need you to contact our team on 150 or 0345 454 1111 to speak to our Customer Care team who would be able to get the account cancelled for you, if you would like I am happy to drop you a private message to see if there's anything we can do to resolve this?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As John has advised above, you have nothing to gain and potentially some compensation to lose if you cancel now.  Just find another service to use while they make up their minds what to do. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.