cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 5 keeps timing out

GLSteve
On our wavelength

Hi all, and merry Christmas.

Got my new Hub 5 delivered last week, and set it up at the weekend. All seemed good, until the following morning when my network started to drop for 30 seconds to 1 minute. It reconnected, but this keeps happening.

I work from home, and had it cut out during meetings/calls, and while gaming too. I've checked the router settings, split the 5G/2G up to see if it's better on a specific band, all to no avail.

It's NOT the wifi signal, the diagnostics don't appear to find anything (I've ran it as soon as it's down, it just hangs for a moment and when the connection comes back up, it says all is well), and I've just discovered today that my netspeed is 30% of what it was with my old Hub 3.... What on earth is going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

25 REPLIES 25

GLSteve
On our wavelength

I don't believe so. Nothing between the co-axial cable and the router as far as I can see. 

Where the hell are the Virgin reps on here? I'm seeing newer posts getting replied to, this is ridiculous.

GLSteve
On our wavelength

Three days guys I've been waiting on a Virgin rep to reply about this issue. THREE DAYS. Can SOMEONE get me sorted, or at least re-enable my old router so I can get my internet working properly again?

I'm not normally one to stick up for VM staff, but you started this thread on Boxing Day, so it's been two days and not three. All those days you've been waiting have been bank holidays.

You're being a bit unreasonable.

GLSteve
On our wavelength

I would agree if they hadn't been replying to newer posts. But still, I get your point.

It's just frustrating, my internet has been fine for *years* until this silly trial hub (which I didn't know was a bug-ridden mess to start with). My old hub 4 (I think) is still sitting here.... as I said, frustrating. 🙂

I realise it doesn't help you much now, but in the world of IT there's general rules that you don't change things on Fridays. So if you get put on a trial in future then it might be worth waiting until a Monday in a normal week without any bank holidays before swapping kit out, as it gives you the maximum time to get issues resolved.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you have the hub 4 then get it reactivated - they huff and puff sometimes but if you are insistent they will do it

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony.
Sacked VIP

GLSteve
On our wavelength

@Jonny-M That was the plan, then they turned off my old router at 11pm on Friday night.

Didn't have much choice. 🙂

GLSteve
On our wavelength

@-tony- This was what I've been asking for since Monday. It's fairly clear this Hub 5 is faulty/not working correctly, but again - still waiting on any kind of response.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@GLSteve wrote:

@-tony- This was what I've been asking for since Monday. It's fairly clear this Hub 5 is faulty/not working correctly, but again - still waiting on any kind of response.

staff here cannot change you back to the old hub - they can investigate if there is a line fault and book a tech if anything is seen but if you want the old hub back working you need to contact them via phone or [maybe] chat and work with them - there is no guarantee they will put the old hub back on so you need to push and be firm with them

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi @GLSteve

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the broadband issues. You do need a tech as your downstream power levels are all out of spec. I shall PM you now to get this arranged.

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill