cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow Light on Hub 3 Permanently On and Disconnections

TimbreWolf
Tuning in

Hi 

About two weeks ago I started experiencing low speeds and more frequent connection disconnects and at the same time I noticed the light on my Hub 3 is now yellow not white. I have always had near the max speeds and I am now getting intermittent speeds and drop outs since the yellow light has appeared. I have reset the router via the pen in pinhole and checked all connections and nothing has changed via my device location setup. WiFi seems to have poorer signal strength and I am having issues with VoIP calls now where I never had any issues previously. I have been working from home for a year now and have only just started noticing issues a couple of weeks ago with my broadband.

Please can the forum team look into this issue, thanks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Excuse me, VM, if I could just politely suggest:

just replace the hub.

The customer is reporting disconnections, and showing speeds well below VM's minimum guaranteed speeds, and the BQM is not fine, look at those spikes to 90-140ms, that's not normal operation.  Four forum staff have been involved and so far no productive outcome for the customer.

A yellow LED is not for any recognised operating condition, which means some form of hardware fault on the hub, and as the LED also functions as the overheating indicator it is also a safety issue.  At a technical level, because the multicolour LED is actually a combination of red, green and blue LEDs, when it shows yellow, that's because the blue LED output is reduced (or nil).  As there's still colour from the green and red diodes, it is reasonable to assume that the problem is that the supply voltage to the combined diodes has dropped (blue LEDs need a higher voltage to work than green, which in turn require higher voltage than red).  And reduced voltage can also be a cause of the not uncommon red LED faults, although those can also be cause by a heat sensor or firmware fault.  Anybody seeing a "cream" LED has a hub that's on a (possibly very slow) journey to the scrap heap, because that isn't "sample variation".  And in the cases where the internal electronics aren't getting the right voltage, then that explains why the hub's operation is cranky.

So, perhaps we could add a rule of thumb like the "red LED that persists after a reset = replacement hub", that says "yellow LED that persists after a reset = replacement hub".  Even with the best of intentions, quizzing customers on their BQM and hub stats won't ever resolve a voltage problem.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it first.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Thanks for response 🙂

I have followed your instructions and speed tests vary from 127 download to 360 download as I am on Vivid 500. The yellow light is still on. Regarding VoIP dropping out on calls I will not know until I am back to work on Tuesday.

Thanks

Andy

discodons
Tuning in

I have intermittent wiki for about a week phoned reset on and off switch.. always the same... rubbish internet! The control centre tells me there’s a problem and they will fit it, ten mins later I get a connection then half hour later it’s gone again! I am really frustrated as I have to work, to pay for this massive internet charges... it needs fixing not tomorrow or the day after NOW

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@discodons wrote:

I have intermittent wiki for about a week phoned reset on and off switch.. always the same... rubbish internet! The control centre tells me there’s a problem and they will fit it, ten mins later I get a connection then half hour later it’s gone again! I am really frustrated as I have to work, to pay for this massive internet charges... it needs fixing not tomorrow or the day after NOW

Stick to your own thread don't distract from this one...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Rubbish-internet/m-p/4677664

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @TimbreWolf,

Welcome back to our Community! Thank you for bringing our attention to your query.

We can see that @jbrennand provided you with a lot of valuable information.

Please keep us updated about your connection and let us know if there's anything else we can do to help! 🙂

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi All

Update tested speed against 3 different servers today all reporting a download speed of 96 meg (not even 100 meg) on Vivid 500. My connection was better on Vivid 200 with speed always near the maximum. Yellow light still on Hub 3 and getting drop outs on VOIP on work calls. No improvement.

I'm a bit confused about the 'yellow' light..

My hub 3 (in router mode) had a cream / white light on at the bottom - which is normal!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi TimbreWolf,

Thanks for getting back to us, 

I've located your account using your forum details and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect,

Can you set up a BQM and let it run for 24- 48 hours so we can monitor your connection?

Alex_Rm

Hi I cannot set up a BQM as link directs me to a logon page and I cannot see anywhere to register for this service?

It just asks for a user name and password?

Thanks

Andy