cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Pre Existing Face Plate

newbuildhelp1
Tuning in

Hi,

We are just having VM installed on our street. We have a new build property with flush face plates and the walls they come through are wallpapered on.
Is it possible for VM engineers to connect the cables to these faceplates instead of the white boxes as this would stand out like a sore thumb on the dark wallpapers. As face plates are modular and have space in them, can they be put in there? 

sorry if this is a silly question but I just want to ask here before I ask the engineer.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12

BumbleVMTech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Have you already ordered Virgin?  It depends on many things, if you are in a Fibre to the property area you will need a Power passing isolator fitted which comes in a housing that stands out by about 20mm.  Any additional outlets or Cabled areas if they are deep enough could be ok as the isolator should be able to clip into the faceplates (depending on what faceplates you have)

Regards

Rich

Here to help! Im a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more
************ FANCY £50 OFF YOUR BILL ************

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for the response. Would you happen to know which housing that will be or what I can google to see images of it? It’s that one that im more concerned about as it will go straight into a router on a shelf, but the housing you mentioned will be on show and im just trying to avoid it sticking out like a sore thumb as all the sockets are flush black housings in the house.

Many thanks 

They may be able to do it without using a housing and face plate.  Just run the cable through a hole in the wall and seal with a grommet.  Its hard to know without knowing if its Fibre to the premise or coax.  Have you already ordered services with us?

Rich

Find out more

Ah so sorry,

The area release is set for august as virgin have just installed the infrastructure and the expansion team has said we will get gig1 fibre so I presume it will be fibre to premise but I could be wrong and happy to be corrected.

Thanks 

If its fibre it will require power to the box on the wall outside using a power passing isolator, this can be put anywhere though so if you are having TV with us as well it could go behind the TV stand/cabinet.  Probably best way would be to have a site survey first, you could then discus where you would like it and the options of installing it.

Rich

Find out more

Thanks again for the response, how would I arrange/pay this site survey as it sounds like a good idea.

Many Thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @newbuildhelp1 

When you book the services with us you can request they send out a spotter who will do the site survey. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi!

VM have just confirmed it will be coax into the house. Will this alter the face plates that can be used? 
So sorry. Got told two different things but the latest one seems to be correct. 

If its coax, they will be able to drill a hole and use a grommet to make it look tidy, and an in line isolator used, a face plate wouldn't be required.  But the best route would be to get a site survey done to discus on-site.  

Regards

Rich

Find out more