cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Expansion EH21 7SW

Rustyboy2021
Joining in

Hi,

My postcode area (a development of 41 flats, built on a side road off a main road) is not connected to the O2 VM network. The main roads around our area and the road that our side road branches off from were done a few years ago.

I also see City Fibre are very busy installing fibre to properties not far from us at the moment. I contacted City Fibre and asked if our postcode was part of their expansion contract, but sadly not.

I checked my postcode on the Virgin Media website postcode checker a while back and noticed that the search results message had changed from 'You can't get our services right now' to 'We're coming to your area soon'... but when I checked again the other week it has reverted back to 'You can't get our services'. What's going on?  

Is there any way 02 VM can tell me if / when they will connect our development? Or, can O2 VM tell me if my postcode falls under BT's Full Fibre roll-our plans?

Cheers.    

9 REPLIES 9

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM can't tell you about BT's plans because they are in competition, and a separate network with their own connections. 

BT use the Openreach network, and if you browse the Openreach website you will find listings of exchanges that are being upgraded.

If you wait on here for a while, a VM staff member may offer to check out the address and confirm VM possibilities for you. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rustyboy2021,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums. It's great to have you on board with us in the Community and even better that you are wanting Virgin Media services. 

We're happy to find out if there are any current plans in the making for you. To do that I will need your full address. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rustyboy2021, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this via private message with the information I requested.

I have forwarded your details over to the relevant teams and will be in touch to let you know what they say once I receive a reply. 

Speak soon, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rustyboy2021,

Thanks for your patience whilst I waited to hear back from the team on this. 

The teams have come back to me today to advise the following: 

'I can see that an NBU has been created with this address being part of it but unfortunately, it looks like we were unable to acquire resident’s wayleave for the area as only 1 resident from number 19 was the only one who granted us wayleave. Due to this plans were then scrapped.'

I know this isn't the news you are hoping for however if you know that a lot of residents are interested in getting Virgin Media then please register the interest here. This will allow us to then get the relevant permissions and install the area in future. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath,

Many thanks for coming back to me with that information. Can you ask your team when was the last time they contacted the residents about installing fibre cables at my postcode. I have lived here for a year now and have not been contacted by Virgin Media, so I guess it was some time ago.

For information, the development I live in used to be privately owned, as in the residents were responsible for the footways and roads. However, these are now adopted by the local authority - at least that's what my solicitor's property search revealed prior to me purchasing my flat - so I don't see how wayleave permission from the residents would be necessary.   

I will also take this matter up with the Resident's Association, as this matter definitely needs to be raised again and properly debated.

Thanks,

Thanks for coming back to us @Rustyboy2021.

I'm getting in touch with the team again to see if they can confirm the last time that the residents were spoken to, I will be in touch as soon as I have a response.

Regards

Steven_L

Thanks Steve 👍

I have spoken with the Residents Association since Kath's last post. They advise that at the time, there were a few elderly residents who saw installing fibre as an unnecesary distription. I think the demographics of our development may have changed since then - more young people and families have moved in - so I'm hopeful that if we revisit installion plans we should have a more favourable response.    

It would be very helpful to your cause if you could get other residents there to register their interest in getting VM services. 

VM have no statutory obligation to provide connections and they will only do so if they can see it being profitable.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply Rustyboy2021.

I have made Steve aware of your findings and checked in to see if we have had a response. We will be sure to update you as soon as we do 🙂 

As jpeg1 has advised, it would definitely be worth spreading the word within your area about registering interest for the service.

More info on this can be found here

Thanks 

Nat