cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours have Virgin, why can't we?

debmnnx
Tuning in

We are getting ready to move into a new property - there are 25 houses on the road and 20 of those houses have Virgin broadband etc.  We are at the top of the cul-de-sac and have found out that our house and 4 others don't have Virgin.  What can we do in order to get this at the address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are usually three possible reasons for this:

1/
If the street is on coax cable, then the end of street could be more than the maximum distance away from the nearest cabinet (which maintains signal power).

2/
The nearest coax cabinet has run out of tap points. This can be resolved by replacing it with a larger capacity cabinet.

3/
There is a "civils" impediment to taking cable to the end of the street. This is unusual as when I've seen this occur it's jut a couple of houses where what's going on below the pavement prevents cable ducting from being taken to the house (and a drop point dug in).
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

How far are you from the nearest Virgin connected house? It can cost thousands to dig up a length of pavement, lay ducting and restore the footway. If you are the only one wanting a connection then it won't be worth their while. They only connect if they can see a profit being made. 

Your best chance would be be to get all the houses not currently connected to sign up together. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

We are 2 doors away from the nearest connection.  Virgin would have to come past our neighbor's house, onto ours, and then the other 3 houses are opposite us.  We are the only ones at the top of the cul-de-sac.  All the other houses have it.

There are usually three possible reasons for this:

1/
If the street is on coax cable, then the end of street could be more than the maximum distance away from the nearest cabinet (which maintains signal power).

2/
The nearest coax cabinet has run out of tap points. This can be resolved by replacing it with a larger capacity cabinet.

3/
There is a "civils" impediment to taking cable to the end of the street. This is unusual as when I've seen this occur it's jut a couple of houses where what's going on below the pavement prevents cable ducting from being taken to the house (and a drop point dug in).
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)