cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours dug up the cable

Roundyuk78
Tuning in

My neighbour had their drive improved and relaid the weekend.

The workers (friends of theirs, not a company) have dug up theirs and my cable but not relaid them underground. Theirs is to the side of the drive where as mine sticks up (DANGEROUS tripping hazard on pavement!!!!) & was fed through the fence and left trailing on my drive!!

My cable was under their garden which they accepted as when they dug it up a few years ago they cut my original cable but as my drive is fully laid they didn't want the expense of paying if any damage was caused to my drive.

Any ideas as 1) I need the cable relaying by Virgin as it sticks up from the pavement and is a DANGEROUS trip hazard to the public. 2) I don't want to be out of pocket if Virgin try to charge to relay and also 3) I dont want the cost and potential damage to my drive??

18 REPLIES 18

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up some pictures of this apparent health & safety risk?

That will help others - including VM staff - respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Roundyuk78, thanks for getting in touch. 

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with the external cable. As requested by Japitts above it would be helpful if you can post some pictures so we can get in idea of the situation so we know best how to help. 

Tom 

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply,

I've tried attached photos a few times but always comes up too big!?

Hi simply reduce the file size. Regards Micky

Hi Roundyuk78

Can you please post come pictures so we can get this fedback and resolved 

Gareth_L

If it was that simple and I knew how to do it, then I would of lol

20211215_162119_resized.jpg

20211215_162034_resized.jpg

Sorry, finally sorted photo size

Cheers

Who owns the fence in the picture?

The green conduit looks broken and damaged. If it was me, I would get VM to remove the huge green conduit and clip the cable onto the fence structure.

My own VM setup is more-or-less identical. I carefully drilled some holes for plastic 'pin plugs' into the concrete gravel boards which then allowed some cable clips to be nailed in and the cable clipped onto the concrete gravel boards. This allows the panels to be removed for maintenance and also avoids having to bury the cable again. Mine has been this way for about 20 years!

Whether or not VM's tech's have the time/skills/tools to do that is another matter which, in the case of VM, often largely seems to depend on the individual person who turns up to do the job. They could alternatively nail clips to the bottom edge of the wooden panel, just means some fiddling about if you ever want to lift the panel out for maintenance.

If the neighbours own the fence, you might not be too much further forward with the above in the event they decide to renew the fence too!