Menu
Tld2004
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Need to move the Virgin Media internal wall box and master phone socket

Hi All

I’m new here.

I recently purchased my first home and have been taking a look at the VM cabling to the property.

The house has the brown external junction box fitted to the front of the property on the external living room wall. However, rather than the cabling then entering the living room, two black cables (one coax cable, one telephone cable) come out the bottom of this brown box and are tacked to the outside of the wall - trailing across the entire front of the house at ground level.

The telephone cable goes through a hole in the wall into the porch area and is wired into a master telephone socket (must be a VM master phone socket). I presume this is the downstairs telephone socket for VM.

A telephone cable then comes back out of the VM master telephone socket, goes back outside the house through an adjoining hole, and is cable tied to the external coax cable where they both continue to run down the entire side of the house together, round the back of the house, up the rear wall at the back of the property. Both of these cables have then been drilled through the wall and into the spare bedroom.

Inside the spare room, the coax cable goes into the white VM internal wall box with just a TV actuator attachment attached, and the telephone cable goes into a regular telephone socket that has been mounted onto the window sill.

So to summarise, it looks like the VM TV point and VM telephone point have been rerouted from the external wall box to the back of the house, so there was only TV available upstairs in one room!

I’d like to tidy all this up by relocating the VM master phone socket and VM TV input back into the lounge area. What are my options here?

I’m confident I can undertake the work myself as i’ve done a few phone extensions and rewired coax connections but wanted peoples thoughts first?

FYI, I have not yet signed up to broadband/TV as I’m not living there currently whilst having some remedial work done first - is it worth signing up to VM first so I at least know that its working, and/or get VM in to make the changes as part of sign up (i’ll be a new customer).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need to move the Virgin Media internal wall box and master phone socket

good questions - as you are not a customer you can remove the wiring - there is debate about that but the posts on here from VM say thats ok - just remove it all back to the brown box - it would be better if you put a terminator on the coax input in the brown box and staff here might be able to arrange that

if you did that and then signed up for VM you would have to book a manned install and they would put the internal boxes where you want them

all that changes if you sign up to VM - as a customer the T & C's say you cannot modify the wiring up to the internal boxes - so you would then have 2 choices if and when you signed up - a manned install and VM would/should change things to how you want them or if you went for a self install where they just send the hub and tv box you accept the wiring is ok as it is

to change it at a later date would cost you £99

Tony
0 Kudos
Tld2004
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony - appreciated.

what about the VM telephone line that comes out of the brown VM external junction box - can I also terminate the telephone line there too, and remove all of the old telephone wiring thats been tacked around the side of the house? 

Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say “staff here may be able to arrange that” re: terminating the coax in the brown box? Do you mean VM will come out to do it or they’ll tell me how to do it? 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i am not VM so all i post is opinion based on whats gone before which is why i said some say you are ok to remove it [some by the way are VM staff] - other users will come on and read the riot act to you that you must not touch anything - not sure what thats based on as i am quoting VM staff

no they will not come out unless you scream health and safety issues - even then you will have to push to get things to happen

if the services are dead or lets say not activated then you can remove the wires - some remove the cable that goes across your garden but back to the omnibox [brown box] is the best idea that way you can get it connected again - i see no reason that you cannot remove the phone wires as well

as to a terminator - hopefully staff here can get one sent to you - its to stop noise ingress and is the correct way to do it but you would not be the first to not have one if no one will help

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The time to get work done is when you sign up with VM. If you're sure you won't need TV in the bedroom then get rid of the coax, otherwise leave it.

Both telephone sockets and all phone wiring can go as landline is now provided from the hub 3.0's RJ11 sockets via a BT adapter.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tld2004
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Roger

Yes, I’m sure i wont need VM TV in the spare bedroom. We’re going to stick with freeview TV to start with.

We’ll only need VM engineer to install the required wall socket hardware/junction boxes for broadband and the telephone line. 

Which reminds me, why do some of the white VM wall junction boxes contain connections for both TV and Broadband, and others (like in the house I've just bought) contain just the TV connection point only? Whats the difference? 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media has several predecessor companies which became two (NTL and Telewest) after takeovers, then NTL bought Telewest and became Virgin Media in 2006. This is why you see sockets with Virgin Media, NTL or Telewest logos (and sometimes even their predecessor cable companies), some with just one connector, some with two (old ones might be labelled FM and TV, newer ones labelled Sat and VM logo), some in flats now have an Integrated Reception Systems (IRS) faceplate for satellite, TV and radio. In a way, some of the history of the UK's cable industry can be told through the sockets of the many cable companies during the past 30 years.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos