Menu
JP786
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Need to book an engineer for installation

Hi

I have a white VM box in the house but it is in a different room from where I want to setup and also it has 2 wires coming out from it, which is different to videos about installation. I have never been with VM so was not aware re the isolator and assumed it was similar to other broadband setups. Please can you help.

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to book an engineer for installation

Hi @JP786,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post! I'm sorry to understand that you're having trouble setting up your equipment.

Unfortunately, if you wanted to change the location of the set up, this would have to be a technician call out with a charge of £99, as this would be an aesthetic request and not a fault issue.

In regards to the two cables, would you be able to take a picture and post them on here of the two cables and let me know which piece of equipment you are trying to install?

If you're struggling with the install, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to arrange a technician install for you to help set it all up.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JP786
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi20210531_124006.jpg

Hi Please see attached pic. I assume this may need changing. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi @JP786,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue and providing the image.

The coaxial cable looks fine to attach to the Hub. Please let me know if you're having any issues with installing the Hub and we can take a look at booking a technician then. 

Let me know how you get on 🙂

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

the cable with the screw connector looks hopeful and worth attaching to the hub but if it does not work post some more photos as the 2 cables go back to the VM wall box - i cannot see the connector on the bottom of the box and wonder if the cables are sky who are good at cutting the VM cable to feed their own

Tony
0 Kudos
JP786
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Tony. So I managed to get it working, only need broadband but still wanted to set in another room. Would virgin send me an extension?

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @JP786 

Thank you for coming back to us. 

We wouldn't be ale to send an extension so that you are able to move it to another room. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

book a tech now - if you wait it will cost you £99 - ring it in as faulty - 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

if they say its working turn it off and dont let them charge you anything 

Tony
0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I don't agree that VM should £99 to a new customer just because they want it in a different room to where it is currently as new customers without connections get to choose where they want the cable without the charge. 

If they are existing customers asking to move existing equipment then sure, there should be a charge.

So personally, I wouldn't attempt to connect up any equipment and just say you can't get it to work, then when the engineer arrives, tell them you want it in a different place anyway.

0 Kudos
JP786
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

• Hi Thank you for your response. So I managed to get through to someone and 2 hours ago was told I would get a call from an engineer within the next hour but no call just yet. Not sure if I made the right choice joining now.
0 Kudos