cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need technician visit for new fibre phone

peterts
Tuning in

I need a VM visit to set up the new fibre phone. There is a telephone cable socket next to the VM box so need this modifying to enable the new connection to the Hub.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @peterts on the forums.

I have filled out the form for the home phone switchover and the team will be in touch with you within the next 24 hours to book the nearest available slot that suits you.
In the meantime, if there's anything you'd like assistance on, we'll be here to assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@peterts wrote:

I need a VM visit to set up the new fibre phone. There is a telephone cable socket next to the VM box so need this modifying to enable the new connection to the Hub.

When you mention 'the VM box' what are you referring to? The plastic 'Omnibox' outside or the hub inside or some other VM box.

In the 21CV phone connection, the phone plugs direct into the back of the VM hub. As per

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Do you have additional extension sockets around the home that also need linking to the phone socket on the VM hub?

If you need a link making between the phone socket on the VM hub and a distant existing telephone socket, then VM should do that free of charge as part of the switchover process.

I don't think so. The cable from the telephone socket next to the VM box (where the VM cable enters the house) leads to the main telephone socket which has a Siemens wireless hub for the other handsets in the house. The VM box is a few feet from the Hub3 I have. I suspect that the telephone socket just needs rejigging and a RJ11 cable (max 2 metres) from it to the new adaptor plugged into the Hub3.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@peterts wrote:

I don't think so. The cable from the telephone socket next to the VM box (where the VM cable enters the house) leads to the main telephone socket which has a Siemens wireless hub for the other handsets in the house. The VM box is a few feet from the Hub3 I have. I suspect that the telephone socket just needs rejigging and a RJ11 cable (max 2 metres) from it to the new adaptor plugged into the Hub3.

You would either plug your cordless phone base station direct into the back of the VM hub or, if that is not practical for reasons of location, get VM to make a link from the RJ11 phone socket on the VM hub to your existing phone socket location.

One of the VM forum team should be able to arrange this when they reply here within a few days.

To clarify my reply, the 'VM box'  is a white box on the wall inside the house where the VM cable enters the house from the outside. It has a cable from it to the Hub3.

Thank you. I think the simple answer would be to extend the cable from the phone socket next to the VM box to the Hub3. However this will need to be set up to be flexible enough for me to switch the connection on the day that VM turn off the existing system. I wouldn't expect this to be rocket science!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@peterts wrote:

To clarify my reply, the 'VM box'  is a white box on the wall inside the house where the VM cable enters the house from the outside. It has a cable from it to the Hub3.

Yes, your reply crossed with my edit. Reply at #4 applies to what you have described.

Thanks again. Yes, that's correct, item 4 agreed. It would seem logical to just remove the existing telephone extension cable from the socket box and put a RJ11 socket on the end. This can be plugged into the existing socket box and then plugged into the back of the Hub3 on switch over day. (Just putting this in for the VM follow up team).

Hey @peterts, thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the home phone.
As you need some things moving for the VOIP line, we will get this done.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @peterts on the forums.

I have filled out the form for the home phone switchover and the team will be in touch with you within the next 24 hours to book the nearest available slot that suits you.
In the meantime, if there's anything you'd like assistance on, we'll be here to assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team