cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with the availability

chc1126
Joining in

Hi, I'm going to move into a new build area. Then i checked the availability via VM website and it show not available yet.

But then my builder told me that my house is available to connect virgin media and show me the cable on the outside wall. He told me to call VM for help and then problem will be solved. But when i tried to contact the live chat team, the gentlemen just told me that my address is not available yet according to the check from website and just provide me some irrelevant information.

Have anyone encountered similar situations? I don't know what else i can do.

Thanks. 

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

  

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person will respond and take a look for you in a few days when they get here. But i'm guessing that the other ends of those wires have not yet been connected to the VM network - could be many reasons for that.

Do any houses on the estate have an active VM connection?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

What is the name on that box? The photo is blurred but it looks rather like Openreach to me. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks, but i’m not sure about what are the other houses connected

Sorry for the photo.

Yes it is openreach, that’s the builder told me the box is for BT, and the cable is for VM. Actually I don’t know whether it is correct.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@chc1126 wrote:

Sorry for the photo.

Yes it is openreach, that’s the builder told me the box is for BT, and the cable is for VM. Actually I don’t know whether it is correct.

The grey wall box and capping in photo 1 is an Openreach FTTP connection (which would potentially connect you to a range of different suppliers).

This is linked to the Openreach ONT in photo 2. This looks as if it is operational.

The two white cables may be VM but VM external cables are often black in colour. Are the two white cables actually connected to anything outside or just trailing out of the wall with cut ends? There still appears to be a blue pull rope in the underground duct so maybe the external cable is not pulled in yet.

Does photo number 2 correspond to the opposite side of the wall to photo 1?

Is there any sign of the two white cables on the inside of the property? The presence of VM cables does not necessarily mean a working connection.

Your builder should have some sort of contact name with VM to make further enquiries.

The last pages of the new build handbook also give some named contacts for different regions who may know something

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

May be better than the random lucky dip of enquiring on here or calling in.

Between an Openreach FTTP connection and a VM coax connection (if that is what will serve your home), I know which I'd be choosing (and it wouldn't be the VM option!).

The two white cables just trailing out of the wall with cut ends.
And no, photo number 2 dosen't correspond to the opposite side of the wall to photo 1.
(Is there any sign of the two white cables on the inside of the property?) Sorry, i am not sure.
Thank you.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Why not just sign up with BT or one of the other Openreach ISPs?   You could have a reliable connection working in a few days. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi chc1126,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you haven't been able to get the help you have been looking for in regards to getting our services installed in your new property, so I can try to help I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.