Menu
ciccone
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Need help with external box cables

Hello, this is a tricky problem too explain. I have been having terrible connection issues with drop outs and low speeds. After three engineer visits yesterday the engineer finally worked out that the issues is from the street to my box. He thinks that the signal has been split with the neigbour and this is the issue, so he needed to access the external box, however the box is now in an unsafe location and may not be able to access. So I got up on the roof and opened the box and the picture is what I found , I’ve now tried to disconnect on of the cables to see if that would help but it didn’t! Can anyone advise on what I need to do

thanks 

71574E1F-F6F6-4AEB-9787-E3379E40F213.jpegExternal box with a splitter61689C65-AED0-4E92-B736-5FACC9B5740A.jpeg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need help with external box cables

how on earth did the box end up on the roof?, are you in a block of flats?,
can you repost your new downstream, upstream, and network log. having a splitter is perfectly fine if done correctly, since the box in the street is just a giant splitter

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

only one piece of advice - do not touch or do anything with the box or cabling.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If the cable is shared with a neigbour you need to look for the neighbour's box and the cable connected to both boxes. Even if this has been done it doesn't necessarily mean that you should have a problem as what matters is whether the signal is strong enough for two homes as splitting always results in signal loss.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

One of the outputs of the splitter is open without a terminator, so there is possibly of noise ingress. In fact there is no need for a splitter as one one the cables has been removed, just need a joiner.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos