Menu
Tasher97
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Need ethernet cable/port in bedroom but hub downstairs

Hi, as title says... I need a secure connection upstairs, my internet connection is tempormental, I have to ring up Virgin constantly for them to fix it. I want to connect my laptop and console through a wired connection- as wifi is too weak. 

I don’t want to buy a seperate WIFI router- as my issue is upload speed. So wired connection is better.

Would Virgin come put a internet port upstairs? I don’t know how to go about this and i’m not happy drilling through walls. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need ethernet cable/port in bedroom but hub downstairs

That's not a service Virgin offer, you might have to contact a local handyman

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Find a local electrician to run the cat 5e or cat 6 Ethernet cable from the hub to your bedroom, drilling and floorboard lifting will be needed. I recommend termination at an RJ45 wall plate. You can then plug in a network switch (see my sig as an example) and connect your laptop and console to the ports on the switch. Should you need good WiFi in your bedroom, which is quite likely as the WiFi from the hub is weak, a wireless access point can also be connected to the switch.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

and make sure it's an electrician that knows how to propertly run network cable and terminate it properly.
some (maybe most) wouldn't have the foggiest.
0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Think cat 6 as replaced the cat 5e and even one to replace cat 6, might be an additional letter.

( Think it might be to the better TV standards the 4K and 8K)

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One thing you can look at is if there are any pipework (water \ heating) running between floors you can run the ethernet cable alongside.

Otherwise, someone needs to get a drill out.

Another solution would be powerline adapters that use your home's electrical circuiits as a wired connection back to the hub.
This is far more convenient, but not quite as robust as a wired connection as they can be affected by noise on your mains. but work well for a lot of people.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Best suggestions are above. But as an alternative you could consider a pair of "powerline adapters" to connect your Hub to your equipment upstairs with short Cat6a cables. My lad is an internet gamer and refuses to use wifi and he has his PC & xbox wired up in this way and has never once complained. It requires that the two electrical circuits are actually the same or that they pass through the same consumer unit (fuse box) and are not on RCD extensions.

EDIT: griffin beats me to it again Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

running the cable internally is hard work - hole though external wall downstairs - up one level and hole through bedroom wall - if you want to do it with a premade cable [which is easiest for diy] then a 12mm hole will allow you to pass the cable end through - cement or silicone to seal the hole - clip cable to external wall

smaller hole - about 6mm if you are going to use face plates  

Tony
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Make sure you get two Ethernet cabled installed. The extra cost of the cable is negligible and if in the future you ever have trouble with the original cable, you will have a spare to use. The cost is in the work, not in the cable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos