Menu
web1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Need engineer to fix the recently fitted VM box that is hanging off the wall with no casing on

As above plus I have queries about the connection speed related to many users using the same box. 

The engineer who fitted the box told me that there are several people connected to the same VM box outside and this can slow down the speed, hence it required extra mains power to help boost it. 

The wifi is intermittent dropping off when I use it down one small flight of stairs but not far from the router- can this be related? The engineer told me he thought the signal should reach there no problem as it's not far at all.

I don't want to have to pay out for boosters unnecessarily. 

I have of course tried to call several times, once being cut off after being on hold for 30 mins and also texted.. to no avail. 

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Need engineer to fix the recently fitted VM box that is hanging off the wall with no casing on

I wouldn't worry too much about many people using the same box as the small green cabinets are basically the same thing - an incoming coax to the cabinet, and an 8 or 16 way splitter for each house. Basically every house in that cabinet is sharing a cable. These cabinets sometimes also contain an amplifier to boost the signal levels, and houses sometimes have there own mini-amplifier. 

None of this will affect your WiFi connectivity, that's just the router being crap. If you require better WiFi then you can get a better router. You can get boosters, but they are more like bandaid, and if you rent one from VM that's £3/month, £36/year, and you can buy a router for £50+ and keep it. 

web1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need engineer to fix the recently fitted VM box that is hanging off the wall with no casing on

Thanks for your help.

I just fathom out how to make contact with a VM staff member to book an engineer to fix the box outside.

Maybe one of their team will read my message at some point... hint hint 😉
0 Kudos