cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL old box

roccobangs
On our wavelength

Hi, hope you are well and sound.

We just moved to this property where there is an old NLT box to the wall (first picture) and you can see the cable on the second picture, probably some of the painting got there.

Would be possible to connect this to the TV? If not, is it possible to remove it ourselves or do we need to inform Virgin?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

We just moved to a property NTL box.jpegNTL box 2.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will need to have a Contract with VM to be able to use the services supplied over that cable.  It's not a TV aerial if that is what you are asking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will need to have a Contract with VM to be able to use the services supplied over that cable.  It's not a TV aerial if that is what you are asking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roccobangs
On our wavelength

Thanks again Adduxi. 

We are broadband customers but not VM Tv ones. As we are not looking to change our contract for the foreseeable future, is it ok to remove it ourselves or do we need to inform VM technicians?

Thanks

Leave it as it's an asset and is doing no harm.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sure thing.

But if I cannot connect this to the router and not to the TV, what's the purpose of this box? 

Thanks

If you get a VM tech to repair the outside box on your other topic, just get them to disconnect this other internal wall box at its source and you can then remove it yourself.

I have just had a look inside the box and this is what was inside: https://tinyurl.com/3c6n2zwu (Vocom Digital Qamtex VQ601). 

Can you confirm that this is not to connect TV? I was looking onto this cable https://bit.ly/38qAscb, if I buy this shall I able to connect to the antenna? Thanks

roccobangs
On our wavelength

That's very good. 

Now is time to understand how to connect an antenna to my house. 

As Sunday the electrician will come and will brake the wall, would like to get the most of it and install also the aerial.

From the picture below, if I connect this from the output with this cable https://bit.ly/38qAscb should I be able to connect TV? Thanks

TVprobably.jpg

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not get a TV signal with that cable. It’s a VM cable. You need to put in your own TV aerial. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The cable coming through the NTL box is for BOTH Broadband & TV. So you can connect a Virgin router or a Virgin TV box to it (or both with a splitter).

Virgin TV services are subscription only. You cannot get free channels, everything has to be paid for monthly.

If you want free TV you either require a rooftop antenna for Freeview (which can plug directly into the TV), or a Satellite dish & a Freesat box. A few TVs also have Freesat built in.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993