cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to a house which also has Virgin, why can't we self-install?

paullomaxuk
Tuning in

We're moving house this Friday from area 21 to area 22. Before we moved and also when I put in the move request we were told that because the new house already has Virgin broadband we would be able to do a self-install. 

Then a couple of days ago we were told that actually we can't do a self install, and an engineer needs to visit. This will mean we have to wait (at least) a week with no broadband. I've spoken to several people in different departments, on web chat and the phone, UK and overseas, and none of them can give me a straight answer about why an engineer would need to physically visit other than it's "policy" / procedure when somebody moves. 

I should add that I'm very technical, and able to do advanced router configuration and debug issues. 

Can anybody from Virgin explain why I can't do self install? Any idea how I can get them to at least let me TRY it? 

I've tried calling the retentions team, but they didn't care because as far as they're concerned I've already cancelled (my current address) and this is a new install to them. And the moving house team literally refused to let me speak to a supervisor. 

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say VM have told you the house “already has it”. How would they know?

There are many posts on here from movers that have taken the self-install option only to find a previous occupant has removed all the required connections. Does the house have all the necessary sockets in the right place?

I would make sure before you take any further action.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I know because the owner told me and I saw the hub. VM would know because the current owner is a current customer. He also specifically said he'd be leaving the hub, as his new house doesn't have Virgin coverage. 

Previous person will be charged if the hub is meant to be returned to VM and it isn't. 

Usually, You would take your existing equipment and simply plug it in at the new property.

Why you cannot do that is strange  There must be a technical reason for it,  though I cannot think what that may be. 

Hi paullomaxuk, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're unable to do a quickstart install on this occasion. There are a number of different reasons why this isn't possible and could be down to your particular package or maybe even the cabinet we're connecting you to, the slot may not be active. Either way, the system allows us to choose from any available options. If no quickstart option is coming up, we're not able to over ride this I'm afraid. You would need to book the manned install. 

Please let us know how the visit goes and if you have any further questions, you know where we are. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I managed to get a self install done in the end and I was up and running next day. This was not without its challenges.

I found out why they had booked an engineer and cancelled my self install. In summary, whoever actioned my move request royally cocked it up. Instead of transferring my Hub to a new area, they removed it from the system. This meant my account could not be activated. They also spelt my surname wrong and repeated the error in my email address, which I suspect caused problems in the CRM meaning my two accounts (one for each area) were not linked. 

Once I got hold of the right person on the phone, they took my Hub’s details and added it my new area and my account, which allowed me to activate my account and I was quickly up and running. No engineer required, just the right person on the end of the phone.

Oh and convincing somebody to cancel the engineer visit and let me do a self install also required me speaking to the right person. The social media team helped get me there. The web chat team were border line agro, and the phone team were basically ‘not our problem’. 

I must have spent about 5 hours on the phone to Virgin. At least 4 of this was repeating myself, half of which as a result of Virgin’s phone system regularly hanging up just as I was about to get a resolution and me having to start again with a new agent. 

But it saved me having to wait another 7 days for broadband, which would have prevented me from working this week!