cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving splitter to new comms cabinet

user2shop
Joining in

Hi,

Our house is being remodelled and I am taking this opportunity to put network cabling in the whole house and terminate them to a new comms cabinet which will live underneath the staircase.

From here, I will connect the VM router and then create a wired network and also set-up a mesh wireless network.

The VM cable coming into the house from street, the brown box and the splitter - all will need to be moved to this new position.I have booked an engineer over the phone which is due in a couple of weeks.

Along with this, I was also thinking of putting a co-ax cable from the comms cabinet to the point in the new living room where the TV will be positioned. The cable will be run underneath the floorboards and out of sight.

So my setup will be, the co-ax cable for the TV from the VM splitter in comms cabinet will be terminated into a wall plate. The cable from wall plate will run underneath floorboards to the living room and terminate in another wall plate. I can connect the V6 box from this wall plate and then to the TV.

Please can someone tell me if this setup will work for TV and Broadband.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The brown omni box can, within limits, be moved to another position externally but not internally. The coaxial cable from this box will be run to an internal termination box (ITB) next to a dual 13A socket in the comms cupboard and all internal wiring must be terminated back to this location. For coaxial cable runs under floorboards install pull ropes. The VM tech will supply and fit the coaxial cables, sockets, plates and splitter. Note that it's your responsibility to install the Ethernet cable if the TV box will be next to the TV (best terminated at an RJ45 wall socket), and you should do this before the tech arrives.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The brown omni box can, within limits, be moved to another position externally but not internally. The coaxial cable from this box will be run to an internal termination box (ITB) next to a dual 13A socket in the comms cupboard and all internal wiring must be terminated back to this location. For coaxial cable runs under floorboards install pull ropes. The VM tech will supply and fit the coaxial cables, sockets, plates and splitter. Note that it's your responsibility to install the Ethernet cable if the TV box will be next to the TV (best terminated at an RJ45 wall socket), and you should do this before the tech arrives.

--

Thanks for the information Roger_Gooner. I will check with the engineer to get the brown box moved closed to the external wall next to the comms cabinet. The floorboards are still up as work is in progress. I will ask the engineer to leave enough cable in order for me to move them under the flooring when work is completed.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not sure they will leave cable with you but worth a try. If not do use pull ropes - perhaps inside some pre-laid "conduit" tubing.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

You bring in the tech after you've done the work, so not in a building site. How is he supposed to test that the installation works if he cannot get all the cable runs done?

--