cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home to a no-service area - exit fee

vito22
Tuning in

I am moving home and virgin cannot provide broadband at my new address, so they want me to charge early contract cancellation fees.

I already complained to them, the person I talked with was very rude. I escalated it and a person from the escalation team was supposed to call within 48 hours -  no one did. I tried to call again today again - Virgin are too busy today to pick up calls and asking to call tomorrow. 

I do not agree with the early termination fees in general as I believe it is unfair. However my case is a bit more specific. I was planing to leave Virgin after the first year of my contract as I knew I will be moving out at some point in time. I wanted to find a company with a cheaper deal and no moving home fees or go for a mobile broadband. The retention team lowered down my monthly price and promised that I won't pay any fees, when moving home. I told them that I do not know where I am moving to and when (could be in 2 months or half a year, etc), they said it's not a problem and convince me to stay with them. I did. The person also informed me it will leave a note in their system.

Now when I am moving, they are saying I have to pay charges as my new address in a no-service area, so I can't be their customer.

Not only it's not my fault they can't provide me the service, but their convinced me to stay with stay with them, knowing I will be moving out, and knowing that they do not cover all areas (how am I supposed to know that Virgin in not everywhere? I am not moving to a farm house in a middle of nowhere.

On top of that they are rude, it's hard to contact them, they don't call back and I learned that the retention team didn't leave any note. 

It's just crazy. Their customer service is unhelpful as always. I had a few issues with virgin mobile before after a lot of struggle they have been solved, but this is just too much. 

I am also cancelling my virgin mobile account with them. I don't want have anything to do with this company anymore. 

Any ideas what can I do to recover the fees, they are trying to charge me? In the worst case scenario, I just won't pay them and see them in court.  

21 REPLIES 21

chenks
Community elder
the bottom line is this, unfortunately for you.
it's you that is breaking the contract, not virgin. therefore early termination free is applicable.

worst case scenario is worse for you than it is for viring if you don't pay. debt will be passed to collectors, your credit rating will be affected. it's your choice.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

When you take out a contract with a company like Virgin they have to spend money installing a connection and providing you with equipment. They can only do that if they know they will get their money back from at least a year's rental.

You will find that when you sign up with another company at your new address their contract will have very similar terms. They all do. 

It was your decision to move, not theirs. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I was with them for more than a year - it was a renewal. 
I also got a deal from virgin retention team - which they do not respect.
They were aware that I will be moving and convinced me to stay with them.
It's they who can't provide the service at the new address. 

They lied to me to keep me with them and to take my money, being aware of my situation and now they don't care. It's a bad business practice to drag a customer into a contract and then not respecting the deal that was promised over the phone. Sales made - great for them, no matter what. Shady company employing these kind of sales people.

chenks
Community elder
if you have the promises you say were made to you in writing then you may have a case, if you don't then you have nothing.

having no service at the new address is not relevant here, as your contract is to provide service at your current address. you moving is breaking that contract.

as i said, you can go down whatever route you chose, but you will most likely come out worse.
my advice? pay the early termination fee, and then fight it afterwards. that means you don't end up with a black mark on your credit rating and debt collectors chasing you.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vito22 wrote:

Any ideas what can I do to recover the fees, they are trying to charge me? In the worst case scenario, I just won't pay them and see them in court.  

Unless you have proof of the "no fees for leaving" conversation with the member of staff (something in writing or a recording) then you are unlikely to win in court.  Not paying them would be the worst case scenario for you, as has been said it will damage your credit rating and with debt collector's fees will cost far more.

Early disconnection fees are charged by all ISPs and some charge the full price for the remainder of your contract, VM charge less.  Fees are listed here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

My advice is pay the fees but go through the complaints procedure and see if they will refund anything.  You might have to take it to independent adjudication and you might get nothing back, but at least this way you don't risk your credit rating or higher fees.

Complaints procedure is documented here:

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practi...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just to add to this thread - My neighbour is going through this battle with Virgin - the problem is that we are in a Virgin area but our street has not been cabled - There is literally 6 feet between her door and the main road where the cables run down. I see on roadworks.org there is a few notes to say they are extending the existing network to provide service in the next street along But when she asked she was told there were no plans and she would have to pay a fee! She's in her 70s and just moved in. 

The house that backs on to hers can get it and the estate was built in 2008 - so what is the crack there? Is it fair for VM to demand the money from her or anyone who lives in a VM area but their road has not been touched. ?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
problem is your contract is for services at the installed address.
Canceling in the contract for any reason is subject to fees.

VM can even refuse services in a cabled area for reasons such as capacity.

its fair as you agreed to it in the contacts.
VM will not charge the EDF if you can and do take services from them when you move.

how is he breaking his contract by moving into area outside of virgin media why isn't virgin media available at his new house when you think about it it's not him breaking the contract its virgin media for not having it available at his new premises in the first place

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Nonsense.  Please don't become a lawyer.

The contract is for broadband at one address.  

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.