Menu
monet208
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving entry point of cable to another part of the room

Hi everyone

We are moving after 33 years for the last time so here is a question from a 71 year old non techie !

The virgin cable comes into the lounge in the corner of the room

We are positioning the tv set up at the other end of the room

Would the engineer who is coming to connect everything up -if asked nicely- extend the existing entry point cable along the bottom of the wall to the  end of the lounge about 20 feet away where we want to position the TV set up ?

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving entry point of cable to another part of the room

If you are having a manned install, which it sounds like you are, then yes they will. A moving transfer install is the same as a normal install, apart from the fact you already have the equipment from your previous address .

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Guy if you've reached the grand age of whatever you know the drill.

Tea, biscuits and a kind word....Smiley Wink

Or the official line- they will install it where you direct them as long as it is possible- you need an external wall they can run a cable from the existing omnibox (outside grey box) to the external position of the internal faceplate.

They will likely want to use a splitter and an internal cable (its easier) but stand your ground and make sure they run the cable externally to where you want the point on the inside.

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Kippies wrote:

Guy if you've reached the grand age of whatever you know the drill.

Tea, biscuits and a kind word....Smiley Wink

Or the official line- they will install it where you direct them as long as it is possible- you need an external wall they can run a cable from the existing omnibox (outside grey box) to the external position of the internal faceplate.

They will likely want to use a splitter and an internal cable (its easier) but stand your ground and make sure they run the cable externally to where you want the point on the inside.

Or depending on your preference they will run internal cabling, if the route is do-able.

monet208
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the two very quick helpful answers

If possible with drink and snack I think we would go for the internal cable extension simply on the basis that being married to a Yorkshire lass who may well decide after living in the place for a few week she wants the TV set up back at the original corner entry point !!!!

( must personally say I think the original entry point is the best place for the tv set up anyway buy its always nice to get a "well you were right in the first place" comment even if it takes a few months to come! !

Who was it said its ok to lose a battle as long as you win the war - must have been another chauvinest

Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it's simply a case of running a longer coaxial cable along a wall to the new position of the TV box, then not a problem and there would be no need to change the location of the internal termination box. If it's a V6 a longer Ethernet cable would be needed as well.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos