Menu
auldain
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving a SuperHub 2AC

I have just received a V6 tv box. Currently I have a SuperHub 2AC router which is located upstairs. I want to move the router downstairs to my lounge to be nearer my main TV. However I’m not sure I understand the instuctuins for doing this that cane with the V6.

At the moment the black cable coming in from the street and into the basement, has a metal splitter, from which 2 white cables are connected. These in turn each has an in-line metal junction box soon after they emerge from the splitter. Not sure the function of these but both cables then go up to the first floor.  One goes to a bedroom and to an existing older V box, which is connected to a TV. The other goes to an office where it connects to the SuoerHub 2AC. 

My question is what is the best method of relocating the router from the first floor to the ground floor? Can I merely disconnect the cable going upstairs to the router, from the splitter, and cap it off with the part that came with the V6 box, and then connect a new cable (I have some Virgin white coaxial cable left over from the original install) with screw on terminals, to the splitter and then take it into the lounge and from there use the splitter/Ethernet cable assembly that came with the V6 box, to connect the router and the new box?

Also if I leave the other white coaxial coming out of the existing splitter in the basement, connected to the old V box in the bedroom, will I still be able to Work the tv from it?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving a SuperHub 2AC

If you can relocate both coaxial cables from upstairs to downstairs, then do so, one for the hub and the other for the V6. As the cable lengths will be unchanged there won't be signal issues. Connect the V6 to the hub by Ethernet cable and the TV to the V6 by HDMI cable and you're good to go.

The "junction box" you refer to is probably the isolator for surge protection, don't know why there isn't just one before the splitter instead of two after the splitter.

The V boxes are all being replaced, in your case with the V6, and will be deactivated when the V6 is activated. If you want TV from VM for the bedroom TV you will need another TV box which I believe costs £7.50pm, consider Freeview (needs an aerial) if you don't want to pay this amount.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
auldain
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Roger_Gooner.

If I do go eventually decide in the future on a second V6 box (for the tv in the bedroom) it would make sense to leave the white cable serving the bedroom in place meantime. To remove it and reinstall latter would be a lot of upheaval.

So if I leave the current upstairs tv cable where it is, will it be ok to bring just the cable currently serving the router, from upstairs to the lounge, and fitting it to the splitter and cable assembly that came with the V6 and use this to connect the router in its new location as well as the V6 box. I'll try and upload a pic of the splitter that came with the V6 so you know what splitter I'm referring to. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 12.04.28.png

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think it would be OK to remove from the splitter the cable for the box in the bedroom and substitute it with another cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

One thing you have not mentioned is the use of WiFi. If you move your VM hub downstairs, the WiFi signal upstairs will not be as good. If you do not use WiFi upstairs, no problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos