cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Into a New Home

mp3911
Joining in

I'm moving into a new home which I complete on later this month, I'm not a Virgin Media customer, but I do know that the current owners of the house do have Virgin Internet.

I tried to order online and set the date to receive my equipment for the day after completion. After adding my details I received a 'pre-contract'. This asked me to approve but said that the installation date would be next week, well in advance of my completion date. That didn't seem right, but there is no option to contact, decline or change anything on it.

I've not approved the pre-contract, does that mean nothing will happen? I've phoned up but the people seemed to have zero clue about my situation.

I'd like internet available as soon after I move in as possible as I work from home, what should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The existing customer needs to cancel their VM contract as you wont be able to set anything up until that account is closed and service is disconnected. Then you will also need a VM quickstart pack.

Dont worry about "contract" dates - yours doest actually start until the day the new VM equipment is installed and makes its first network connection.

Have you checked what they have done about that - any dates ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The existing customer needs to cancel their VM contract as you wont be able to set anything up until that account is closed and service is disconnected. Then you will also need a VM quickstart pack.

Dont worry about "contract" dates - yours doest actually start until the day the new VM equipment is installed and makes its first network connection.

Have you checked what they have done about that - any dates ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately not, I don't have any direct contact method to easily get more information except via an estate agent, the completion is a week on Monday and I'm assuming that they will continue their contract until the last moment. I did ask for the VM Install Pack to be delivered the day after I will have moved in.

If I approve the pre-contract will it just be declined then as there is likely an existing contract on the address? Or will VM attempt to make contact with the current contract owner?

I don't mind trying the above, I just don't want the VM pack to arrive sooner than I do, or to cause any trouble to the current owners before they move out.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I dont know all the ins and outs of this process - but you could call the Call the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 and ask if they have more info. calling at 08.01 is the best time to get through quickly.

Or a VM forum team member might be able to take a look for you here when they pick this thread up in a day or two.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi @mp3911 

Thank you for reaching out to us here, welcome to the community.

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you are having, I would like to take a look at this for you and see what I can do to help. In order to do so I will need a little bit more detail so I will send you a private message.

Thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

jem101
Superstar

@mp3911 wrote:

I'm moving into a new home which I complete on later this month, I'm not a Virgin Media customer, but I do know that the current owners of the house do have Virgin Internet.

I tried to order online and set the date to receive my equipment for the day after completion. After adding my details I received a 'pre-contract'. This asked me to approve but said that the installation date would be next week, well in advance of my completion date. That didn't seem right, but there is no option to contact, decline or change anything on it.

I've not approved the pre-contract, does that mean nothing will happen? I've phoned up but the people seemed to have zero clue about my situation.

I'd like internet available as soon after I move in as possible as I work from home, what should I do?

Ok, I'll be honest here, there is a chance that it'll all go smoothly, but it does require quite a few things to align, ie the current occupants gave the appropriate notice to VM to terminate the existing contract (and they are moving house which is a bit traumatic so this can easily be overlooked), plus that VM can, well shall we say, be not entirely competent in putting 2 + 2 together and getting thing done on the right date.

OK that being said, you need internet connectivity for work, yes? Best to work on the premise that VM will drop the ball and leave you, metaphorically, dangling in the breeze! What alternatives do you have? Can you get a 4G or 5G modem from whoever has the best connectivity in your area on a monthly rolling contract? Think of it like fire insurance, you pay it but hope you have actually wasted your money and won't ever need to invoke it. There is a reasonable chance that Vm will  come good, but if they don't then you need to have a fall-back provision.