cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house and no Internet

Deakkon
Joining in

Hi all

We arranged a house move with Virgin 4 weeks ago and were advised to take our equipment to the new house on the 1st December and it will work as Virgin was already installed. 

We moved on the 1st and since then we have had no Internet at all. Just a green WiFi light on the hub 3. I have spoken to at least 6 different people (when I was able to actually get through) and everybody keeps passing me to someone else who also cannot help. I have so far lost about £200 because I have been unable to work from home.

I have now been told that a technician will visit our house but not until next week but which time I would have lost over £600 from not being able to work.

Everything worked at our old house up until it was disconnected the night before our move (30th November). When I log onto my Virgin Media account on my phone it tells me I do not have any packages and my contract is not active.

I am so angry and confused at how something so simple can be messed up so badly. I asked if I will be compensated for the amount of income I have lost to date and I was told that once it is fixed (God knows when that will be) I will get a credit on my bill for the downtime. Which really does not help at all with feeding the family or paying bills!

I'm really getting upset and about to make a complaint, I just wondered if there is anybody else here who has experienced this problem and how they got it resolved?

Kind regards

Matt

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
When you take your old equipment to a new location it will only work once its been "activated" onto your account at the new address. So there are 2 possibilities.

1) The activation hasn't happened for some reason - perhaps the address change hasnt gone through yet You will need to call the equipment activation number on 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – you will need the serial number/MAC address off the barcode sticker and also your account number

2) It is activated but cant connect to the network because of a problem on the cable connection. VM never check its ok before sending out quickstart packs they just know that a previous customer has had a connection there in the past - so it was serviceable then. So in that case you will need a Tech visit to check and do the installation.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The non activation may also be a consequence of the VM national outage yesterday, VM are hoping to have all the activations working correctly tomorrow.

If it's not working tomorrow call the activation number suggested by John, 0800 953 9500. You will need the box serial number, and your account number and area code.

You could also try contacting  New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation on freephone number 0800 052 0422. 

Speaking of account numbers, VM close the account at your old address and set up a new account at the new property, which is why when you log onto your Virgin Media account it tells you that you do not have any packages and your contract is not active

As part of that process VM can/should perform a move and transfer for your details across from the old account to the new one.

You could call in and speak to the home move team using the freephone number  0800 052 0422, however Forum Staff may be able to set up your account correctly but it may take a couple of days with it being the weekend.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Here is a link to the compensation scheme:  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

If you are relying on broadband for business, you should set up a standby service, e.g. with 4G /5G data.  Virgin Media is a residential, not a business service and does not guarantee a continuous connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Deakkon
Joining in

Thank you for your replies. I will wait for the technician to visit next week. 

Hi @Deakkon

Keep us updated with how the engineer visit goes 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs