cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved House and Landline Not Working

whistler
Tuning in

I have recently moved house and the landline connection is dead. I have two connections on my Hub3 but could not find the cable so bought one. When I connect it still doesn’t work so I went into the admin for the Hub and discovered that Telephony is disabled.

I have had numerous Web Chats but the move team have not been helpful so I am trying to get myself set up!

How do I get Telephony enabled on my Hub?

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @whistler 

Do you have a VM telephone wall socket in the new property? If so try connecting the phone to that.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes we do have a VM telephone wall socket - it’s dead! Trying to get the move team to understand this via Web Chat is extremely painful!

When you move the landline is provided by the hub, for which VM should have given you an RJ11 to BT adapter to plug into the hub's TEL 1 port.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

That is exactly what I thought but trying to get the VM move team to do anything useful is a joke.

I did have cables sent to me with the Hub when it was last replaced but we have just moved so I cannot find these cables. I therefore bought myself a new cable and have plugged it in. Now back to the issue I posted about - my Hub has telephony disabled so plugging into the TEL 1 port simply doesn’t work.

My question is how to get this to work. Other posts I have read have suggested that VM need to switch it on but this means contacting the VM move team - who are still trying to decide whether my new address is suitable (which they confirmed it was two weeks ago when they discovered existing users at the address!)

I had hoped that somebody from VM might read my post and know how to help but I guess I was just being over optimistic!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The coax cable should be an official one rather than shop bought as it may not be equivalent. 

The easiest solution would be to request a manned installation. They will connect up the Hub correctly (and in a different place if you wanted) and set up the phone connection. As it is a new installation for you there should be no charge. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @whistler

Thanks for posting on our community forum

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the install, I am going to drop you a private message now to collect some more information so we can look at getting this resolved for you.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs