cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved House: Next door has internet, we can't get it

PTwilley
Tuning in

Two and a half weeks ago we moved house. Had phoned VM prior and was lead to believe it shouldn't be an issue despite the checker saying no; given the adjoining house (block of 4 in the property) has it. Once we moved in, we called to say we'd moved and they said they'd call back to arrange an engineer; nothing so called again a couple days later, went through the motions again and said we'd get a call, nothing, called again on Saturday, went through motions again and would get a call within 2 working days and nothing still. I understand things can get busy but given need internet to work this is obviously distressing (made worse that we're in a mobile deadspot).

Called again now and since account is in arrears, can't even get through to anyone without paying and it's beyond frustrating. Just want to speak to an engineer to know what likelihood of getting service is or if we have to move elsewhere. Given we were told we'd get a call back before account was put on hold as well; if we'd been told no could have looked to get another supplier or something so could get back to working

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virginmedia Lesson #1:

Phone backs never happen.

A staff member might respond here. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just to be clear.... who's account is in arrears? Yours or the previous occupants?

If yours - why is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Mine, and I do understand it has to be paid and in contract etc . Move has been expensive to say the least. However was 2 weeks of it not being in arrears where I had no call back (which was meant to be within a couple days)

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

how are you in arrears - have you stopped the DD - thats rule number 2 - never do that - VM systems may not be joined up but owing them money kicks in dept collectors and black marks on credit ratings - so get that sorted before their only efficient system kicks in

as to internet next door and you cannot get it - thats possible - is the house new or more exactly was in built after the VM or earlier company laid the duct - i have that - i am the last house on the duct laid 20 years ago - a new estate built 10 years ago cannot get VM - nect door is literally that 8ft away but they cannot get VM

if you are in that situation you might get them to connect to next doors external box - a bit more complicated and they should look for permission from next door - all depends on how the run would be - wait for staff and they may be able to help

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll need to be sure that your present contract is in credit, before they will open up a new one at the new address.  Remember that Virginmedia is run by accountants with a reluctant interest in broadband. 

And don't wait for a callback. They don't happen.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

It's a large property that is 4 homes (ABCD), D has the VM install as does the property as a whole (letterless) on the checker. Pretty sure VM was installed next door after property was built and drive way laid.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another possible issue is that they may have signed up the maximum numbers of subscribers from your location that can be connected.

VM will comment on here but it may take a couple of days

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, PTwilley,

Sorry to hear that you house move has not gone smoothly. If the account is in arrears, then this will likely stop anything from moving over. We cannot take payments or sort many billing issues here but I'll send you a private message to take a look at your account to see what's going on with your account.

Cheers,

Corey C