cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem red light

Tlarkin1
Tuning in

Hi I have a permanent red light on my modem and I am concerned it May not be safe. 
I have tried rebooting twice and still I have a red light.

I believe I need a new modem but can’t get in contact with anyone to get it sorted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi I have tried rebooting nothing changed .

I am not sure what modem mode means I don’t think I have changed anything since it was installed so I suppose it is just a router 

i still have a red light and not sure what should happen now 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

What model of hub do you have (if you can't tell, there's a number on the base starting VMDG or VMB or the like), and are you using the hub in modem mode with your own router?

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tlarkin1,

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your Hub displaying a red light. Just to double check, is the Hub currently in modem mode? If so then the light will be a magenta colour but can look quite red. This is perfectly normal. If it's not then please follow the below steps: 

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
  • Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.
  • Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If the issue remains, pop back here and let us know. We can then either arrange a replacement or an engineer to visit to swap out the Hub. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi I have tried rebooting nothing changed .

I am not sure what modem mode means I don’t think I have changed anything since it was installed so I suppose it is just a router 

i still have a red light and not sure what should happen now 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have power cycled the Hub and the red light is still on, VM should replace the Hub.  The red light is an overheating warning.  If the Hub is overheating, it should not be used, as it is a fire risk.  I would press VM for a replacement as soon as possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi I am advised I need a new router as this one is a fire risk can VM please advise how I do this urgently 

Thank you for that information. I have booked in a technician for you to provide a replacement hub. 

The information regarding the time and date of the visit can be found on your online account. 

^Martin