cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miracle upgrade from Cable to Fiber without entering the house!

ianknight
On our wavelength

I've just had a txt telling me I need to order a piece of equipment to continue using my phone...

So I went online to order it but discovered a miracle!!

I have cable broadband (and have had for years) but apparently now it's been magically converted to Fiber Broadband sometime in April hence the need for an adaptor. I must have been asleep in April because I don't recall having an engineer come to my house to install the fiber or the new modem/router - it's still the original box and Tivo from 2015 - what sort of wizardry is this?

I'm currently in a queue (along with 1000's of others) to "Live Chat" with an agent to find out how this was achieved - I suspect I'll get an answer here first.

20 REPLIES 20

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@ianknight wrote:

BT have stopped the upgrade program for all customers to VOIP when someone in parliament asked what happens to customers who don't have a cabled broadband connection i.e. low income families, pensioners and so on & what happens when the power goes out and a pensioner needs to use a phone in an emergency?

BT have NOT stopped their VOIP programme. They have paused it for customers on remote copper wires while they find better solutions. They will complete their conversions by 2025 along with every other supplier because that is a national requirement. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ianknight wrote:

No - I won't - I have a Super Hub 2 vintage 2013 - it doesn't have an RJ11 socket for a phone line 😞

This is the point I've been trying to make (unsuccessfully) - Virgin don't seem to have a record of what kit I have installed i.e. Hub 2 and Master socket with a Tivo that was installed in 2013 
Their own records will show that I need more than just an adaptor if they really are "upgrading" my phone line so why don't they send an eMail or a letter asking me to arrange an engineers visit for the free of charge upgrade? I suspect the reason is that my Tivo will need replacing for which they charge existing users £99 as well as my Hub 2 - all because they've decided it suits them to stop sending a phone signal down the bit of wire that's quite happily been working since 2013 and the upgrade they did to the local exchange for VOIP in the last year... 😞

Hi @ianknight 

Firstly some good news. The TIVO boxes are being phased out.

If you do have a future problem with your TIVO which can't be fixed then it will be replaced free of charge with a V6 box.

I agree that you do however need to have a hub 3 to have a working phone line via the hub. 

Have you signed in My Virgin Media (at the top of the page) to see if you already qualify for a free hub swap?

I believe the link below may also work, although using either method may result in an error message. If so try using a different browser or incognito mode.

virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals_hubswap 

Please update the thread as to how you get on.

If you aren't able to order a hub using the hub method then we can flag this post for Forum Staff to pick up. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo wrote:

Firstly some good news. The TIVO boxes are being phased out.

If you do have a future problem with your TIVO which can't be fixed then it will be replaced free of charge with a V6 box.

Is this still happening? I would think that the 360 is now the only replacement for the TiVo.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

If you don't get an upgrade to a Hub3 or better by the time VM want to change the telephone service, they simply cancel your landline and adjust your package price which is usually a bit cheaper but I don't know if they honour any discounts because the original package agreed then changes. At a guess, I think they would, but they could say that you didn't contact them to swap the hub (if they contacted you in the first place that is).

Hubs less than v3 can't use the digital phone service, hence why replacement. It won't hold up the project because a customer hasn't swapped it out for free.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Roger_Gooner 

Being switched to a V6 means the customer retains the same box functionality and interface they are used to, although as in common with all box swaps they will lose all the TIVO recordings and series links.

It's still a personal choice if a customer wishes to revert to a 360 - I actually prefer it but I didn't use all the bells and whistles on my V6 which are missing on the 360.

A plus point if a customer has two or more TIVO's and they are all eventually replaced by V6 boxes is that if in the future they decide to switch to 360's they will retain their hard drives. 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for that link but it didn't take to me a page offering me a free update to anything sadly 😞

The page shows that I'm on the basic fiber package - so perhaps the decision logic that generates the page doesn't think to offer an upgrade because it assumes I already have the appropriate hub?

I missed out on the free V6 upgrades a couple of years back because I never had a notification the upgrade was available - I only found out when it was mentioned in a news article I read elsewhere online 😞    By the time I checked my account online - the offer had been closed for 6 months - very poor comms for existing customers 😞

I shall also be very miffed if they cancel my telephone subscription because they can't get their act together to notify me sensibly (a single txt isn't "sensible") about line upgrades being needed either - they send me regular summaries by post about my usage and spiffy new phones but nothing more - despite having my eMail address too.

Please do flag this post - it might kick the internal workings in to gear about the line changeover from coax cable to fiber - or whatever it is they'll need to do. 🙂

ianknight
On our wavelength

Nope - had no contact whatsoever about needing to upgrade my hub to keep my phone line - all I got was a txt telling me to order an adaptor... Don't their records show that an adaptor would be needed?

I even had an engineer onsite twice this time last year because of issues with the phone line - they'd upgraded the local "exchange" and forgot to connect the phone lines back to the coax - he said nothing either or I'd have been on the case 😞

Thanks all for the insight you've offered - I've learnt more about what's happening from you than from Virgin itself 😞

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @ianknight 

I've asked for the forum team to have a look at your thread to see if they can help

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hello ianknight,

Thanks for your post. Sorry though you have had to resort to this contact option.

I would like to make sure everything is resolved for you. 

I can see we need to upgrade the Hub , TiVo and complete the Telephone.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hello ianknight,

Can I please just ask how todays visit went?

Gareth_L