Menu
CS11
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Making a complaint

Good Evening, 

I was wondering if anybody else could help who may have been in a similar situation. 

I started the process of joining virgin media the middle of May. I have had non stop problems and received poor customer service. Once I finally manage to get a order through that wasn't cancelled, I then recieved a call the day before installation to say there is a fault with a wire therefore the installation is cancelled and I will be called back later for a new date. Already annoyed having booked a day off work for installation I then waiting for a call and recieved nothing. The next day I sent a formal complaint regarding our experience and yesterday recieved a text saying " Hello, it s Virgin Media. I have an update on your complaint, and I will call you shortly to talk you through it. Thanks". I have still not received a update or call.

This afternoon I spotted a virgin van outside and all excited went out to speak to the surveyor who informs me that he was informed there was major construction needed outside the property. Yet he states it is in fact not major and all it needs is a virgin box put outside the front which can be done within 3 days. Obviously very upset and angry, I'm contemplating cancelling the contract. Does anybody have a number or contact for somebody higher than the resolutions team who can manage my complaint effectively, or has anyone experienced this service before with frequent delays and cancellations and how you got around it? Or realistically how long it does take to wire up virgin to the property. 

I am not one to usually complain however feel so frustrated that myself and my partner have used all our data, are using a vodaphone dongle for internet which is costing us a fortune! And have no TV. Just seems they don't want the customers.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Making a complaint

If I was in your shoes I'd sign up to another provider today and whoever installs first gets your custom, least you wont have the frustration of another cancelled order.

Saying that arent you getting heafty Ofcom compensation for a missed install?

CS11
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply! I am so tempted to! My main choice for selecting them first was due to the price of the full house bundle at £45, however as they cancelled my order just to one missing piece of information (yet didn't call to get the simple detail or even inform me that they cancelled the order until I called to see why I had recieved the confirmation and order number but not a email with any further details that they told me the order was cancelled), and then because it was cancelled when I then went to take out a second replacement order the offer that stood when I originally placed the order had been cancelled and the price was back up! 

And unfortunately not, everyone I've spoke to previously has said "I've spoke with my manager and there is nothing further we can offer". In regards to the missed installation I'm not sure if they will offer some discount as noone has contacted me since telling me the installation was cancelled and as I mentioned in my original post I put in the complaint at the start of the week, recieved the text yesterday saying someone would call 'shortly' and have still not had any contact. Just having the worst experience really.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello CS11, 

Welcome to our community forum page. 

I'm very sorry to hear about this whole situation and for the poor experience you have had with us. 

I understand that you have already raised a complaint and this will be sent directly to our installation complaints team who will shortly write to you if you don't receive a call. 

Unfortunately there can be situations where construction work needs to be carried out which we weren't aware of. 

Once again I'm very sorry about the frustration this matter has caused and I'm confident our complaints construction team will be contacting you with a resolution very soon. 

Dean C  

0 Kudos
CS11
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response Dean! I look forward to the letter or call from the complaints team, however in the meantime I was told on Monday that someone would call me back that day regarding new installation date however I have nothing. No further date provided or any other kind of information. As I'm sure you can appreciate both myself and my partner work shifts and nights and can not just get a random day off to be there for installation when it suits virgin. We need to be aware of a date to book leave, which is why we are frustrated that the installation was cancelled as we had leave booked to ensure someone was in the property for installation and to simply call the day before was not good enough to cancel the leave. 

I fully understand that there may be construction  work and I was informed when i recieved the call on Monday that this problem was identified on Monday as virgin come out to the property the day before installation to ensure everything is there. Why would this be carried out the day before when the installation date was known weeks before? Therefore if there is a problem then it's to late to fix? The surveyor that I spoke to on my street today informed me that the work needed was minor and could be carried out within the next 3 days. Therefore if this was done on Monday when I recieved the call then I would now be sitting at home with internet and TV, rather than ruining a Friday night online trying to find answers. 

I look forward to hearing from the team. 

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the reply CS11, 

As soon as our installation team are able to carry out the installation we will be contacting you directly to advise on the next available date. 

We hope to be able to have you up and running as soon as possible and we appreciate your understanding and patience. 

Dean C

0 Kudos
CS11
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

8 days following cancellation of installation and 7 days following submitting my complaint and not one person has called or sent a letter. Time to take this further

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"Time to take this further"

Well, if you've tried VM's complaints process, then you've got to give them EIGHT WEEKS before you can escalate to the industry arbitration service. I'm guessing that's a non-starter for you, and that you've got better things to do than try and take on a £5bn corporation through the courts.  You could demand the supposedly automatic compensation for missed appointments, I'm thinking you've probably had enough.  As a very long standing customer of VM, I will say that my experience is that once set up it usually works very reliably and you don't very often have to endure VM's appalling offshore, undertrained and and understaffed customer service, so that's a reason to hang on in there (hopefully the forum staff can sort something out?).

If not, invoke your right to cancel without penalty at this stage, and get an Openreach ISP.  Bear in mind all the big companies (Talktalk, BT/Plusnet, Sky) are equally as dreadful as VM, so I'd recommend you consider a smaller ISP with better customer service - AAISP, Aquiss, Zen, Uno, and others.  AAISP has by far the best ratings from people whose views I'd trust, but their pricing scheme is bit complex for many residential customers.  I've recently had some dealings with Zen on behalf of my elderly parents and they have been brilliant - if I were checking out of VM, they'd be my first and only company to call.  Note that IDNet are getting good reviews at the moment, but as they're part of DixonsCarphone I don't expect that to last.

Search ISPReview, and read what they have to say.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it isn't always feasible to switch providers. Some people are in areas without broadband (or with low-speed broadband) and want TV but are not permitted to have installed a satellite dish or external aerial.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Unfortunately it isn't always feasible to switch providers. Some people are in areas without broadband (or with low-speed broadband) and want TV but are not permitted to have installed a satellite dish or external aerial.

they would need to be allowed at least 1 of those two options if they are not in a cabled area.
landlords can't refuse an external aerial if that's the only means of receiving TV AFAIK.

0 Kudos