cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a reliable broadband supplier

kendimatteoross
Tuning in

Can anyone recommend a good broadband supplier? 

Virgin has heen trying to deliver an active service for 2 weeks now but doesn't seem to be able to get me live.

One engineer has called by, but he said the problem was in the street not the house, so could not fix things. Since then 4 engineers have been scheduled to come round and fix the issue in the street but on every occasion they have failed to arrive. 

Phone support or chat services don't seem to work either so basically thinking I just need to find a supplier that can deliver a service.

Thinking of trying BT or Plusnet. Any recommendations?

19 REPLIES 19

@kendimatteoross Personally, I wouldn’t cancel the installation but I would assume and work on the basis of, VM not actually being too bothered about your custom and as such arrange for an alternative supplier now. Get that installed and see how it goes, if and when VM extract digit and cable you up, you then have 14 days in which you can try it out and cancel without penalty - or keep it and see about cancelling the other supplier, depending on their Ts&Cs.

Either way, no need to bother yourself chasing VM about it anymore, just amuse yourself sorting out another supplier.

This way VM do the work to get you connected up, you cancel and don’t pay them a single penny for this; but; you will know that the infrastructure is all there and working should you decide to sign up with them

Remember to take a look at the Automatic Compensation Scheme https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation#installation and in particular to the section on delayed installation dates. It may be applicable to your situation if confirmed dates have been missed.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Good advice. Thanks. I spoke with customer retention and they say that they compensate £8 per day for every day when service is totally lost, 2 days after reporting the problem. Since I reported the problem on Nov 16 they now owe me circa £160!
Double checking with retentions again today, they have confirmed that this is what they will do. So on that basis I've told them not to cancel.
The plan now is to see if they can fix it (every day they don't = £8 compensation to me) and if they do then great. Meanwhile, I get an other supplier to deliver a service until Virgin can deliver.
Don't know how long they'd be happy do do that at £8 / day compensation but it seems like the best route forward today.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check if you are in a Three 4G area.  If you are they have some reasonable deals on a 1 year or even on a 1 month contract so you could cancel that one quicker.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 18.58.28.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@kendimatteoross wrote:
Good advice. Thanks. I spoke with customer retention and they say that they compensate £8 per day for every day when service is totally lost, 2 days after reporting the problem. Since I reported the problem on Nov 16 they now owe me circa £160!
<snip>

You should double check your calculations against the published info and also against what VM have said

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

and read the small print

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

becuase there are a whole bunch of get-out clauses for VM to avoid paying. Make sure you keep a very good record of everything (dates, times names of people etc.)

If you are getting a new installation, I would assume any compensation would be at £5.04 per day rather than the rate of £8.06 per day for faults. And note the bits about payment for each no-show visit too. Also note the possibility for VM to cease the compensation at some point if they give you notice.

There have been plenty of examples on here of VM staff on the phone giving out wildly inaccurate info on the compensation scheme. If you are going to hang on for the install, work out what you think you are due in compensation and make sure VM pay up according to the rules. You might have to fight hard for that to happen. AIUI you do have to actually join VM to get the compensation.

Thanks John. 

Funnily enough this 4g from three set up is what I'm trying to move from.

the problem I'm have ing with three 4g broadband is that they have no min speed guarantee. 

Sometimes it's 60+ meg but it drops to almost below 1 so frequently it's not really viable. 

it is quite easy tho, just to buy another month of 4g on a chip while Virgin sort things out.

Hi kendimatteoross

I can see the repull has now been completed 

Can you please confirm if that is correct 

If so please let me know and we can take it from here and look at getting you finally set up 

Gareth_L

Thanks 

Yes. The re-pull took place yesterday afternoon and the service is now working.

To move forwards now it's just a case of completing the compensation package that has been confirmed to me on the phone (to your support line) for total loss of service since Nov 16th

The compensation explained by your support is £8 paid by Virgin to me for each day of total loss of service (after 2 days of reporting the total loss).

The quick start pack (modem) arrived on Nov 16. I installed it but it did not work. 

2 days later, the service still did not work, so on Nov 18 compensation starts (essentially you told me every day until Dec 9, that an engineer was scheduled to do the re-pull the next day between 1 and 6pm, but this person failed to arrive until Dec 10, when the re-pull work was actually done)

Nov 18 to (yesterday) Dec 10 = 22 days @£8 compensation per day = £176

So Next step:

I'm expecting to see my account credited with £176 within the cool off period.

Thanks 

Please keep the pressure on if they try and fob you off. Escalate to CISAS if necessary, often VM don't bother to contest the arbitration cases and so they close in your favour.

Hi @kendimatteoross

Thanks for coming back to us. Glad to hear all working 🙂

I shall now pop you a PM over to discuss this further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill