cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a reliable broadband supplier

kendimatteoross
Tuning in

Can anyone recommend a good broadband supplier? 

Virgin has heen trying to deliver an active service for 2 weeks now but doesn't seem to be able to get me live.

One engineer has called by, but he said the problem was in the street not the house, so could not fix things. Since then 4 engineers have been scheduled to come round and fix the issue in the street but on every occasion they have failed to arrive. 

Phone support or chat services don't seem to work either so basically thinking I just need to find a supplier that can deliver a service.

Thinking of trying BT or Plusnet. Any recommendations?

19 REPLIES 19

Witter87
Tuning in

I am with Plusnet until the 8th when I will hopefully be connected by Virgin media. I have been with Plusnet for about 3 years and they are very reliable and any problems get sorted by a engineer really quickly

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're after an entertainment package your options may be limited, if you're just after a good broadband/landline supplier then an option you should consider is spending a little bit more and going with one of the better performing smaller ISPs.  Phone up Zen Internet, uno, Aquiss, IDnet and see what they can offer.  You can't judge much by sales talks, but read the customer reviews on ISP Review, see what you conclude (and for balance, read the reviews of VM and perhaps other larger ISPs, see if any of that is things you recognise).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

Although most ISPs use Openreach, that doesn't mean they use the same backbone and traffic routing, so performance does vary a bit, but on top of that there's a wide gap between best and worst of these companies when it comes to getting the best out of Openreach, particularly if there's technical faults.  As with all things, it's only when the chips are down that you find out why it is worth paying extra for good support and service; Conversely, if you're lucky and nothing goes wrong, then a cheap as chips outfit like TalkTalk can seem a good deal.

Look out for the minimum term, expected speed, connection costs, time to connect (don't forget risk of pandemic related delays).  

i say bt or plusnet i use there bt as well as virgin media for broadband i say go for plusnet there customer service is uk based bt is india based

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

BT was offshored, it was all brought back to the UK a couple of years back, resulting in an approximate halving of customer complaints, and that is clearly visible if you pull out a couple of Ofcom industry complaints reports.  I still would use a smaller ISP myself, but at least with BT you don't have the grim third world customer service experience that VM offer.

Good luck. Home Virgin manage to connect you.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @kendimatteross. 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting your services installed. 

I have managed to locate your account using your forum details, It looks like we need to preform a re-pull of the cables leading to the property. 

At the moment it is scheduled to occur tomorrow. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Sure.
I'm told this job is scheduled for tomorrow every time I ask about it. It's been "scheduled for tomorrow" every day since the 24th of November.

Basically, as I've said to the complaints dept already. I'll give it til Dec 7. If it's not working by then I'll just cancel. Another supplier is all set to take on the work.

Hello @kendimatteroross,

I am sorry for the delay on this installation, just checking in on how its going?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks for asking Hayley

Basically, nothing is happening. I call or message everyday and am told each time that an engineer is scheduled to come tomorrow. The engineer never comes. This has happened every day since Nov 24th Now. I wrote to the complaints department on Friday 3 to say that I'd give it til today, Tuesday 7th, but would cancel on that day if it still was not working (Basically you sent a modem on Nov 16 but nothing has worked since the day I became a customer). At this time I still have no reply from the complaints dept (in spite of the the "we'll respond within 28 hours" claim)

So now I'm on my way home and will check once again. I'll be so happy if it actually is working tonight but really I don't expect it to, so - assuming I can get through to someone on your pretty inadequate support line, I'll be cancelling the service tonight.