cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer power cables for Hub 4

james1310
Tuning in

Can you get longer power cables for the Hub 4 Modem? And also can you get longer network connection cable

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The coax cable is something VM will resolve with a "non-fault" call out for £25.  Might sound excessive. be assured that the cables you'll find readily advertised as "Virgin Media compatible" are not VM approved or tested for use on cable internet, and frequently are not of an adequate quality for the very demanding requirements of cable.  I won't bore you with the technicalities, but cable internet requires very high quality cable, properly made up, and just because it looks like bog standard satellite cable, it isn't.  Moreover, on a longer run you risk the signal power levels dropping off, that would need checking and adjusting by a technician.

I don't think VM will be able to do anything other than provide a standard power cable (you can of course ask).  If the answer is no then options are as follows.  If you're using a "wall wart" power supply, then you'll have to use a mains extension lead which can be a bit clunky, or you can buy 12V DC extension leads to go between hub and PSU.  The trick here is to know what size connector the DC plug into the hub is, and as I don't have a Hub 4 I can't tell you.  5.5mm jacks (plugs) are the most common, but they can have 2.1 or 2.5mm pins, and the wrong size will not work.  If you've got a micrometer, you know what to do, if you don't then you may have to hope some kind forum member who does know can tell you.

If your hub has a "power brick" power supply, that'll normally have a separate mains lead ending in a figure of 8 connector.  The technical name for that is an IEC C7 connector, and if you search for something like long IEC C7 cable, then you'll find plenty offered in a range of different lengths, some with a UK mains plug, others unterminated and you'll need to fit your own. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The coax cable is something VM will resolve with a "non-fault" call out for £25.  Might sound excessive. be assured that the cables you'll find readily advertised as "Virgin Media compatible" are not VM approved or tested for use on cable internet, and frequently are not of an adequate quality for the very demanding requirements of cable.  I won't bore you with the technicalities, but cable internet requires very high quality cable, properly made up, and just because it looks like bog standard satellite cable, it isn't.  Moreover, on a longer run you risk the signal power levels dropping off, that would need checking and adjusting by a technician.

I don't think VM will be able to do anything other than provide a standard power cable (you can of course ask).  If the answer is no then options are as follows.  If you're using a "wall wart" power supply, then you'll have to use a mains extension lead which can be a bit clunky, or you can buy 12V DC extension leads to go between hub and PSU.  The trick here is to know what size connector the DC plug into the hub is, and as I don't have a Hub 4 I can't tell you.  5.5mm jacks (plugs) are the most common, but they can have 2.1 or 2.5mm pins, and the wrong size will not work.  If you've got a micrometer, you know what to do, if you don't then you may have to hope some kind forum member who does know can tell you.

If your hub has a "power brick" power supply, that'll normally have a separate mains lead ending in a figure of 8 connector.  The technical name for that is an IEC C7 connector, and if you search for something like long IEC C7 cable, then you'll find plenty offered in a range of different lengths, some with a UK mains plug, others unterminated and you'll need to fit your own. 

Thanks for answer I've had a word with VM,and as you said the coaxial cable can only be supplied from VM, but was told to go to my nearest VM shop. Problem with that is there isn't a shop locally. So I will have to pay for an Engineer to come and change the cable. The power cable as you indicated can be purchased from Amazon and I have ordered one. A bit frustrating that I have to pay for the Engineer as I'm upgrading and need the setup done properly. I have not yet got the higher speeds they have said I would have. Although I was told that they are working on it, and to monitor the service and if the problem persists, to let them know.

Who told you to go to a VM shop? As far as I knew all of these high street shops closed at the start of the pandemic and never reopened.

Actually no, forget it, it was the offshore call centre was it? So they told you to go a a VM shop and they would supply you with the right cable in the right length and presumably all the correct connectors and fit and test them?

Yes, I thought he was wrong because the local shop we had disappeared well before the pandemic, and I'm sure that the shop only delt with phones. I've been contacted by an Engineer who told me that they had noticed that I had a Bud and that it was not working, when I checked someone had turned it off. He also said they were going to send me a second Bud, which might help with the coverage over the house. He also said that it would take a little while to get a better speed as they were working on a problem within the area.

Hi james1310,

Thanks for posting, 

Have you received the WiFi pods since posting?

Let us know if this has improved things.

Alex_Rm

Hi, in answer to your question about if I have received my 2nd Bod. I received it on Sunday and have not seen any improvements with my broadband yet. I will give it a few more days to see if it improves; if it doesn't I will get back in touch with VM

Hi @james1310,

Hope you're well. I'm just checking in to see if you've noticed any improvement with the pod since you posted about it a few days ago? Are your connection issues ongoing, or are you seeing some improvements now?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks for enquiring, but I'm still not getting the speeds I should. I've contacted VM, and they have done some tweeks to my Hub, but I still don't have the speeds. So, I'll get in touch again and ask for an engineer to come and review the problem.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry about any issues james1310,

Welcome back to the community.

From checking our service I can't currently see any readings that would contribute to the speed problems you are advising.

Can I ask with regards to the speed whether you are facing this on a wired connection too?

Thanks,

Kain