cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer coaxial cable

Hrafn
Joining in

I’ve requested the 5m coaxial cable to be sent by Virgin twice now on WhatsApp but have yet to receive either despite waiting at least 6 weeks. 

Can I just buy a longer cable from B&Q or other similar store so I can move my router to a better position, or will only one from Virgin work?

Thanks for any advice!

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have confirmation that VM are despatching a replacement co-ax? I ask because any amendments or alterations to your cabling are usually actioned by tech visits - there have been a few posts about "ordering longer cables", but they usually involve offshore CS agents who are "mistaken".

And no, you can't use B&Q or any other well-intentioned DIY fix here - the correct solution is to have a non-fault tech callout if you want to move any VM kit in your home or alter cable lengths.

That comes at a flat £25 charge and either a faults agent or forum staffer can arrange.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

carl_pearce
Community elder

By the time you have spent the £18 it would cost to buy the correct grade cable fitted with compression F connectors, then having to spend the time running it yourself, you may aswell spend £25 getting a VM engineer to do it, who will also check power levels are ok once a longer cable has been run.

I’ve had an order number created twice, with the agent saying Yodel will get in touch with me. However, no Yodel message is ever received. Having said that, I’ve had some packages from other companies arrive with no warning from Yodel since Christmas.

It sounds like an engineer visit might be the best way forward. What’s the best way to organise that, as my recent communications with VM don’t seem to have resulted in any action?

Hi Hrafn,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've had with getting a longer cable. 

We can certainly look into getting an engineer out for you .

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin