Menu
TaraNorri
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Longer cables!

I need to change the location of my tv so I need longer cables but the current hub and TiVo cables I have aren’t standard RG6 coax cables and apparently Virgin don’t offer longer cables, either as standard or at an additional cost! Someone from the technical department told me it’s an RF55 cable but I think that’s something he just made up to get me off the phone! 

I’m not tech savvy, so I don’t know if completely swapping out the whole set up for RG6 cables will work.

Please can someone help me, I’ve got to the stage now where I feel like cancelling my contract and going elsewhere 

0 Kudos
chenks
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer cables!

they will come out and re-cable for you, at a cost of £99 for the engineer visit.
0 Kudos
TaraNorri
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks chenks but I’m aware of the hostage fees Virgin charge. I would rather use that money and move to a sky Q package! 

I just really want to know what cables I need

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

.. and it would not be sensible for someone who admits to not be ‘tech savvy’ to makes these changes themselves.

You do know how to review and correct the incoming signal levels once you’ve made the alterations?

0 Kudos
chenks
Super solver
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@TaraNorri wrote:

Thanks chenks but I’m aware of the hostage fees Virgin charge. I would rather use that money and move to a sky Q package! 

I just really want to know what cables I need

call cancellations then and start the move away.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why don't you explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve. If, say, you want to move your TV 15ft to another part of the room, a longer HDMI cable could be the answer.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

you can get one from ebay but make sure you get Higher Quality Shielded extension Cable White

RG6 7mm cable you can get them around £9.99 for a 20 meter cable

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You may "get away" with your modifications. But using sub-standard non-triple screened cable or poorly crimped connections can result in RF ingress & noise entering the network, which VM will charge you to fix if one of  their "sniffers" finds you as the source.

Also if you signals are borderline, adding additional length will degrade your services or even stop them altogether. No matter what your DIY skills are you cannot open Virgins cabinets to change the levels.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
TaraNorri
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I can't believe how difficult Virgin makes things for its customers! I literally need no more than an extra 5 metres so I can move my TV unit against a different wall and accommodate my new, larger sofa. Cannot believe Virgin doesn't offer a simple 3 or 5 metre extension cable or even just offer longer cables for a nominal fee. 

I'm not asking to move my whole set up to another room, I literally want to move my furniture approx 4 metres and Virgin wants to charge me £99 for the privilege!

Thank you to the few who actually tried to offer a solution rather than just shutting me down but I think I will just leave Virgin and their "special, magical" cables. Pretty sure Sky will let me put my furniture wherever the hell I like!

0 Kudos
chenks
Super solver
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

you've been given techncal reasons why you can't just use your own cables.
whether you accept that or not is up to you.

if you phone cancellations i'm sure you'll process your cancellation quick smart.