Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Locations

Has anyone come across the following minor problem. I have an Android tablet and phone with Google maps and have recently had Virgin Media broadband installed. I have installed VM My Connect and looking at the hotspots section I noticed it was showing my location as being about 30 miles away from my actual location!! I then looked into Google Maps and Amazon maps and they are both showing the same incorrect current location. Although my wife's IPhone is showing the correct location. Can this be corrected and how. I did not have this problem with my previous broadband provider

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locations

Have you enabled location settings correctly on the devices, including satellite and wifi? 

If you have these switched off, or you have chosen the options not to share your location with third parties, then all the programme can rely on is your IP address, and location via IP can often be wild guesswork.  And indoors the problem will be worse because the satellite signals are usually too weak to enable a fix, so the main method of "indoor" location checking is via wifi signals.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's a common problem due to the way that Google etc relate your location to the IP address assigned to you by Virgin. That address will have been assigned to a previous user 30 miles away.  Google will eventually update their database to match the new location of your IP address..  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice. I have checked the location services and they appear to be switched on and available third party apps etc. No satellite is used.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply I did wonder about a database being a part of the problem, but thought perhaps 

virgin had a database. It's not a major problem but an irritation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin knows where each user is located, but if they were to publish their database it would be a gross breach of the GDPR and cost them millions. 

Your might want to tell the world where you live every time you log onto the Internet. I certainly do not. 

0 Kudos