cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of router

elrasho
On our wavelength

Hello,

I am looking to switch over to Virgin next month, the 200MB, phone and TV package.

I really want the Virgin router to be located in the same location as my current one; in the landing upstairs. This is because I run an Ethernet cable from it to my room in the loft.

Will Virgin accommodate this or will I be stuck with having the router in a location the engineer wants to install it?

Thanks

46 REPLIES 46

I see, I'd rather use the Virgin Hub router on its own. No need for the Plusnet one.

I get 866meg WiFi in my room with the BT dishes so I might be OK if the router is in the Front room and I use the three BT mini dishes to crest a strong mesh around the house.

It's a very old house with thick walls and high ceilings 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I would suggest that you don't make any firm plans until you get confirmation that Virgin can connect you.  They may find the same reason that NTL had for not doing so. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

elrasho
On our wavelength

Just spoke to Virgin and they said they can offer a site survey first where an engineer will come to my house and confirm if they can install the router in the landing. I'm going to do thst and take it from there 😁

Hi @elrasho thanks a lot for your post here in the Community.

That's great to hear and this is always the best way we can look into these sorts of queries for you.

Please keep us updated if you need any further help going forwards and let's hope we can get this installed for you where you want it!

Many thanks

Tom_W

elrasho
On our wavelength

Thanks Tom. I spoke to Virgin and they advised two engineers will be coming to do the install so I'm sure with that man power they can install the router in thr landing. 

Hi elrasho, 

Thanks for sticking with us here and updating us. 

Please do keep us updated on how the install goes and if you need any further help, you know where we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

elrasho
On our wavelength

Hi @Kath_F is it possible to arrange a site survey so that Virgin can confirm that I can get the broadband installed?

Hey elrasho, thank you for reaching back out.

I will send you a PM, and we will get the relevant paperwork filled out.

Please look out for your purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi I have replied to your DM

Virgin sent me a text saying they are going to send an engineer to do the groundwork ready for the installation date. I guess once the engineer is here we will then know if in fact I can or can't get broanand.

elrasho
On our wavelength

Just thought I'd update you all. 

I was told that an engineer would be coming to the property yesterday to get the cable ready for the installation date 

Unfortunately no one came so I'm worried that nothing is going to happen on my install date in under twonweks time. 

Worse is the Plusnet sent me a letter they are turning off their services on the install date!