cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of router

elrasho
On our wavelength

Hello,

I am looking to switch over to Virgin next month, the 200MB, phone and TV package.

I really want the Virgin router to be located in the same location as my current one; in the landing upstairs. This is because I run an Ethernet cable from it to my room in the loft.

Will Virgin accommodate this or will I be stuck with having the router in a location the engineer wants to install it?

Thanks

46 REPLIES 46

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's a very sensible plan. You may find that Virginmedia won't install for the same reason as NTL. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

If ther hub is installed on the ground floor then why is it a big deal to get an Ethernet cable run to the loft. If you want the TV box in the loft then drill the holes in the ceiling and floor boards and install a pull rope for the coaxial cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ethernet cable going up two floors.... no thanks. I'd rather have the Virgin cable coming into the house from the upstairs front bedroom then into the landing. I wont be getting a TV box, its just the broadband and landline I am getting.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well I’ve got 8 Ethernet cables running from under my stairs where my hub and router are up into the loft, it’s not a problem to hide them behind downpipes. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

+1 for above.   Many people forget ethernet cable can be run outside and not restricted to inside the house.

I've done several "outside" installs for family, but the pay is generally non-existent ....  😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

You initially said that you are getting a TV package but now you say that you are not?

Also the cable is almost invariably brought into the ground floor. So if you can get a coaxial cable from the ground floor to the landing, then why can't you also get an Ethernet cable to the landing?

--

My mistake is was only land-line and broadband I wanted.

If the coaxial comes through thr ground floor I'd have to run two ehternet cables up two floors. That's probably 25meters of cable as it's a very large house. 

At the moment I have two Ethernet cables from the landing to the loft so you can see why I want the router there 

I will place the order and state I need the coax coming into the landing. If they can't I can always cancel and stick with my provider 

You don't hav to get an Ethernet cable up two floors, what you need is a cable to the landing to connect with what you already have. You may still want the hub to be located on the landing to spread WiFi around the house, in which case you'd need to get the coaxial cable to the landing.

--

Are you saying the Virgin Hub is not a router and just a modem? Why would I connect to what I already have (a PlusNet Router connected to a BT Mini dish)

The hub is both a modem and a router. In router mode you connect to its four LAN ports but if you wish to use your own router you put the hub into modem mode and connect your router to it.

--