Menu
vitaliistep
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Living building is indicated as office building in Virgin's database

Hi guys!

I would like to connect to Virgin's broadband, but my house is indicated as an office building in the database. It's big building with about 60 flats, but because of the outdated database guys from the branch at Wood Green weren't even able to sell me a SIM card trying hard to input the address manually. BT, EE, Vodafone, even Hyperoptic (within 3 months) have it right and can connect me to the Internet, but somehow it's a problem for Virgin. Could somebody help me? 🙂

[Removed]

Cheers,

Vitalii

[Mod Edit - Removed personal information]

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Living building is indicated as office building in Virgin's database

you may want to remove your address from being publicly visible.
0 Kudos
vitaliistep
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

chenks, I'm not a super star or bank robber, so nothing to worry about 🙂

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@vitaliistep wrote:

so nothing to worry about 🙂

you'd think!
seriously, remove it and just leave the post code for now.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It is a clear breach of Forum rules to disclose personal information such as a full address on pubic forum like this. I have asked the Mods to remove it. Being careless with personal information is not what we want to see here.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
vitaliistep
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:
It is a clear breach of Forum rules to disclose personal information such as a full address on pubic forum like this. I have asked the Mods to remove it. Being careless with personal information is not what we want to see here.

Sorry guys didn't want to breach the rules. There is no way for me to edit the first message, so only moderator can do it I think.

0 Kudos
vitaliistep
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so the only support that you were able to provide me is to remove my address from the message? :))) Good job, Virgin!

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@vitaliistep wrote:

Ok, so the only support that you were able to provide me is to remove my address from the message? :))) Good job, Virgin!

no-one from virgin has given any response yet. this is a community drive forum.
someone from virgin will reply eventually, but the forum is not deemed a primary method of contact for support.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi vitaliistep, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear there's been some confusion around the serviceability of your property.

I understand this was previously a business premises that's now been converted, can you confirm that the building is now registered as residential with Royal mail?

Tom_F

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tom_F 

This situation demonstrates the dangers of companies not keeping their databases up to date.  Virgin Media should be checking the age of it's current database and consider doing checks of their own to validate the information when questions like this arise.  I know this problem is not unique to Virgin Media as BT once had a problem Identifying my postcode when I lived elsewhere even though I'd lived at the address for a number of years and the address was on the Royal Mail postcode finder.

They should certainly not be turning away customers out of hand.

Tim

Edit @vitaliistep - BTW Just so you understand Virgin Media have moderators on the Forum who are there to enforce the rules and in many cases protect users from their own mistakes.

Even though you may not see any harm in posting your personal address online.  Were we users to have malicious intent knowing your personal address is valuable information.  If I can get other information as well such as your email address and name, I can then craft a realistic looking scam letter or engage in identity theft.

This site is public and scammers use various means to harvest information from it.  Don't give them an opening.

Forum Moderators work independently of the Forum Team - who are there to actually assist with your problems (although they all work for Virgin Media), but their role requires them to be quick.  The Forum Team themselves do respond as quickly as they are able but because dealing with issues takes up more time, they're not as quick to get to the posts as the Forum Moderators.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped