cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laying cables

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new and looking to get VM installed for broadband very soon. The connection is being linked into the outlet at the bottom of the garden and will initially run across the front lawn about 12 metres before entering the property. Three queries . Firstly will they dig down sufficiently so when the grass is cut it won’t take the cable with it.

Secondly will they put the cable inside any protection, trunking etc.

Thirdly If not what size internal diameter trunking will I need to carry the cables. Will 11mm be sufficient.

Thanks for any answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Hero

We are an FTTP / RFoG area.

The blown fibre tube from the edge of the property runs under our front lawn it is in the ground at a shallow depth, mowing is not an issue, parking cars on the lawn again not an issue,  but I'd advise against spiking the lawn in that area.   The patch that gives us more concern is where the run comes shallow in a flower bed near the front of the house & we have a couple of bricks to mark the line, an area to avoid with a spade or fork.

The coax cables that enters the house are about 6 to 7 mm in diameter.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Hero

We are an FTTP / RFoG area.

The blown fibre tube from the edge of the property runs under our front lawn it is in the ground at a shallow depth, mowing is not an issue, parking cars on the lawn again not an issue,  but I'd advise against spiking the lawn in that area.   The patch that gives us more concern is where the run comes shallow in a flower bed near the front of the house & we have a couple of bricks to mark the line, an area to avoid with a spade or fork.

The coax cables that enters the house are about 6 to 7 mm in diameter.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do the installers use conduit nowadays or should I be prepared to do it myself.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whether it’s coax or fibre the external runs will be in trunking.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Anonymous
Not applicable
👍

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

Whether it’s coax or fibre the external runs will be in trunking.

hmmmm a better statement should be

Whether it’s coax or fibre the external runs should be in trunking.

both you and i know Tudor that the contractors' will do whatever is quick and gets them back in the van and away - never underestimate the power of VM to get it wrong

Tony.
Sacked VIP

No trunking here. The (rising) blown fibre tube and the (horizontal) coax cable are tacked to the wall with cable clips.

Medium_IMG_1352.jpeg

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The approach may be different, depending on whether it's fibre or coax from the street. Most are still coax. 

They should bury it deep enough and in a conduit, but there are plenty of reports that cables have been damaged by routine gardening activities. 

The contractors doing the work may look for an alternative route, by fixing the cable to a party wall or fence. 

If you possibly can, it is best to be there to ensure the work is done to your satisfaction. But finding the date is difficult. 

I buried a blue plastic water pipe in the garden with a trace wire for them to pull the cable through. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just had this done and the cable is just buried under the sods. No trunking at all. However cutting the grass will not interfere. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there rgch999,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Just to clarify on this, has the team advised of the date of this work to be completed?

Regards,

Kain