cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not ringing

dordo1
Joining in
Landline does not ring with incoming calls. Tried 3 different phones and none ring. Landline accepts incoming calls as I have called it and it connects but no ringing to tell me it is incomming. Help please!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s not a wiring problem at the OPs premises as they can use the line, it’s only ringing that not working. Think you need a technician to sort out.

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait a day or two for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is this an existing phone connection that worked before but has suddenly stopped ringing?

Is your VM landline provided from the back of the VM hub or from a conventional telephone master socket?

You have posted in 'Quick Start' so would assume you are a new customer with the phone connected to the back of the VM hub?

What sort of age are the phones you are trying to connect? Older phones (early 2000s and before) may not ring when using a connection from the back of the hub.

mmj
Superfast

Check for a loose wire in the wall box or junction box outside depending on how your house is wired.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s not a wiring problem at the OPs premises as they can use the line, it’s only ringing that not working. Think you need a technician to sort out.

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait a day or two for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

From what I've read the the ringer signal is carried on a separate wire. I'd check that the wires are punched down properly if you're comfortable with it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are talking about old POTS system, where the 3rd wire was used via a capacitor to provide a ring signal. This is not the case the VM, it’s just a 2 wire connection.

Tudor

Ah okay, I stand corrected.

Thanks everybody for responding and thanks Tudor I have contacted the number you gave me and a technician is coming to fix the problem.👍

Hi @dordo1 thanks a lot for your post.

Really sorry we was unable to respond in time, but I'm pleased to hear that you got things resolved.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future.

Many thanks

Tom_W

ANNELIESEB
Joining in

My phone is being stealthy and not ringing. It connects through and I can hear myself when I've called from my mobile but this isn't that helpful for anyone else who may ring. Can anyone help?