cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Returned To Virgin Media after about 15 years with BT

Anton24
Just joined

Hi, I've just switched back to Virgin media (Broadband & Phone only), having been with BT for about the last 15 years. I already have a coaxial socket installed from back then. During the sign up process, I therefore opted for a self-setup pack instead of getting an engineer to do the setup for me, as it looked very straight forward in the video.  

THE PROBLEM

Having removed the protective cap from my old Virgin media coaxial socket, I am unable to plug the new coaxial cable that accompanied the Hub 3 into it. I have already paid for the first 2 months upfront, but this is very frustrating as I cannot currently complete the setup process. So how do I go about booking an Engineer? - to replace the old coaxial socket for a more up to date one, as trying to navigate the virgin media website just takes me to standard fault diagnostics rather than my specific installation problem.

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What actually is the issue?

I presume the QuickStart kit supplies a push connector, while the old one is a screw connector.

Have you tried pushing the push connector into the screw connector?

If this is not the problem, please post pictures of the connectors.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Ernie,

Yes I have tried to push the red stripe end of the coaxial cable into the coaxial socket, but it just won't go in. Hence why I'm assuming the previous screw in socket I had is obsolete/incompatible given that it is about 15 years old?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As long as the box has a female F socket and the cable has a male F push on plug they should mate. Some force an a slight turn should be all that is required. All F type plugs and sockets are standard, been like this for over 40 years.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2