cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with pre install survey. New customer!!

Shivarana
Joining in

Hi, i have opted for a virgin media package last week and was told by your sales team that a pre install survey can be done to hive me information about how the install will take place, if there will be digging required on my drive, if a virgin box will be installed in front of my drive. The survey was booked for monday 25th and no one turned up. I called to check and after a frustrating 1 hour of being passed to different departments i was told another survey was booked for next day. It has now been 4 days of the same and no one has turned up. I keep getting told the same thing over and over and some of the customer service agents have also tried to lie and when challenged completely changed the info. I am now wondering if it was a big mistake opting for virgin and i am very close to cancelling the order. Its is ridiculous virgin treats customers like this. If i have so many issues before the install who knows what happens if there is a fault with the services later on. Is there a way to get this resolved or should i cancel and look elsewhere.
Thanks.   
Another frustrated Virgin media customer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Worth checking on the cover plate in the pavement (probably marked with VM logo or CATV) and whether you already have one or not. If you do have one, that should hopefully improve your chances of an easy connection. If you don't have one that might well hinder your chances.

Usual procedure is typically that VM install in two stages. Stage 1 sees the cable pulled from the street cabinet to your home. The cable emerges from the access plate in the pavement and runs onto your property. The cable might be buried (typically an inch or two below the surface) or might be clipped to a fence/wall etc. or may be laid on the surface in green plastic conduit. A connection box is fitted to the wall outside where the cable from the street terminates.

In stage 2, another cable is run from the box outside into the home and an internal connection point (or points) fitted to serve the equipment and services you are taking.

The installation of cable from the street to home is often done by VM's sub-contractors. If the job is a simple one (i.e. just pulling the cable through an existing duct, emerging from an existing access point in the pavement and easily crossing the property to the front wall of the house, then all should be well. The installations which seem to go wrong on here are where there is an issue with any one of those parts of running in the cable from the street. If this happens, the process can disintegrate into pantomime comedy where neither VM nor the sub-contractor take any measures to deal with the problems. Long delays and failed communications the follow. An increasing number of 'gone-wrong' installation topics on here seem to suggest that this is all down to cost involved for anything beyond a simple installation.

Whether or not any of the above applies to your situation remains to be seen until you have a spotter to tell you what will be involved for your home.

The VM forum team will reply here usually within a day or two and should be able to advise on what to do.

If there is any further mucking about or delay from VM, it sounds like you have already decided on your next move!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your own analysis of the situation has already summed things up very well!

From your description, it sounds like you are connecting a house (rather than a flat?), for which you are the freeholder, and that you have no VM cabling at present nor anything from a previous cable TV company.

Do you already have the small VM access cover plate in the pavement in place outside your home which would allow the VM cable to emerge from underground onto your property?

Thanks for your prompt reply. 
yes it is a house not a flat and i dont think there is VM cover plate on the pavement. It would have been helpful if someone from VM could turn up and explain the extent of work required. Sadly all they are interested in is selling a deal and there is no concept of customer services after that. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Worth checking on the cover plate in the pavement (probably marked with VM logo or CATV) and whether you already have one or not. If you do have one, that should hopefully improve your chances of an easy connection. If you don't have one that might well hinder your chances.

Usual procedure is typically that VM install in two stages. Stage 1 sees the cable pulled from the street cabinet to your home. The cable emerges from the access plate in the pavement and runs onto your property. The cable might be buried (typically an inch or two below the surface) or might be clipped to a fence/wall etc. or may be laid on the surface in green plastic conduit. A connection box is fitted to the wall outside where the cable from the street terminates.

In stage 2, another cable is run from the box outside into the home and an internal connection point (or points) fitted to serve the equipment and services you are taking.

The installation of cable from the street to home is often done by VM's sub-contractors. If the job is a simple one (i.e. just pulling the cable through an existing duct, emerging from an existing access point in the pavement and easily crossing the property to the front wall of the house, then all should be well. The installations which seem to go wrong on here are where there is an issue with any one of those parts of running in the cable from the street. If this happens, the process can disintegrate into pantomime comedy where neither VM nor the sub-contractor take any measures to deal with the problems. Long delays and failed communications the follow. An increasing number of 'gone-wrong' installation topics on here seem to suggest that this is all down to cost involved for anything beyond a simple installation.

Whether or not any of the above applies to your situation remains to be seen until you have a spotter to tell you what will be involved for your home.

The VM forum team will reply here usually within a day or two and should be able to advise on what to do.

If there is any further mucking about or delay from VM, it sounds like you have already decided on your next move!

Thank you for your help with this. 

hopefully someone from virgin media will respond 

Hi 

is anyone from virgin media able to help with this please. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Shivarana,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your pre-install appointment. I understand that this can be quite frustrating. 

Have you been made aware what date your first appointment is set to at the moment? If not, I'll be more than happy to look into this further for you. I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details, so then we can discuss this further privately. 

Please be aware that I can only view this information. The Pre-Install team is the one responsible for amending any appointments, so if you'd like, you can contact them directly on 08000521734.

Keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page for a PM. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs